List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1173566

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireBroxbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157396

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for HODDESDON CHURCH LANE 3/18 (south west side) Wormley

Parish Church of St Lawrence The item shall be amended to read HODDESDON CHURCH LANE (south west side) Wormley

Parish Church of St Laurence ------------------------------------------

1. 5251 HODDESDON CHURCH LANE (south west side) Wormley Parish Church of St Lawrence TL 30NE 3/18 13.4.61 (Formerly listed as Church of Saint Laurence under Wormley) II*

2. C12 nave with Norman door and window and C15 windows. Restored chancel, 1843-4. S aisle and porch added 1862 by J Clarke. Roughcast, stone dressings, flint and stone dressings on S. Machine tile roof. Norman door has 2 roll-moulded arches and scalloped capitals. C15 windows have cusped arches and hood moulds. Lancet windows to chancel, triplet on E end. Nave interior with stilted arches on paired columns and C15 tie beam. Saxon or early Norman circular font with frieze of upright leaves, and cable mouldings forming panels. Jacobean hexagonal oak pulpit with term figures. Choir has 1617 wall monument to William Purvey on S side, in alabaster with carved angels and putti. Painting ascribed to Palma vecchio presented 1797 on E wall. Modern weatherboarded bell-cote on W end. (Pevsner (1977) ).

Listing NGR: TL3552305866

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 35520 05865

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 02:51:02.