List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1172913

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, RECTORY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityMottisfont

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 141007

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MOTTISFONT RECTORY LANE SU 3226 12/30 Church of St Andrew

29.5.57

GV I

Parish church. C12, chancel remodelled C14, all refenestrated C14 & C15, restored 1876 and 1888-90. Flint and rubble stone mostly rendered, stone dressings, old plain tile roof, shingled bellcote. Plan of chancel and nave, chancel rebuilt C14, refenestrated C15, nave refenestrated C14 and C15, C15 bellcote, C19 organ room and S porch. Chancel has to E cinquefoiled 3-light C15 window, traceried head and label, above overhanging roof with C19 truss, to corners stepped diagonal buttress. To SE blocked C15 window with label, in centre C15 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window, traceried head, at W early C14 2-light trefoiled window, quatrefoil in head. To N at W opposite similar, at E C15 2-light cinquefoiled window, quatrefoil in head. In centre C14 priests door and C19 gabled organ room with Dec style lancets. Nave has at E on both sides C14 ogee-headed 2-light window, quatrefoil in head. On S in centre C19 gabled rendered porch, at W C14 pair of pointed lancets. At W end late C14 continuously ogee-moulded 2-order W door with label. Over C15 3-light cinquefoiled window, tracery in head and label with shield stops. On roof, square-plan bellcote, set back from gable 1/3 way up with tiled slope. 4-light high-set bell openings, hipped roof with weathervane. Inside chancel windows have splayed rear arches, keel moulding to centre S window, pointed N door. Inside E window has C15 stained glass, restored larger lower figures, intact glass in traceried head and some in heads of side windows. Arch- braced roof with moulded wallplate and tiebeams. In SE 1586 monument of tombchest with 4 strapwork panels, above plinth, and inside an architrave row of kneeling figures and inscription panel over, either side decorated Ionic pilasters supporting decorated, topped by ogee-sided cartouche and 2 figure finials. Over N door tablet 1804 to Oliver Goodyer St John. On floor slabs: 1628 to William Sandys, brass inlaid plates in Purbeck Marble; beside slab with crests; 1684 to Francis Gofton; 1695 to Henry Cole; 1770 to Catherine Jones. Excellent c1150 chancel arch, roundheaded of 2 orders, square inner order, to W outer order of roll moulded and billeted order with chevrons outside,on cushion capital, plain shaft and moulded base. Abaci carried round but mutilated on face. Nave has splayed rear arch to N window, splayed flat arches to S windows, plain C12 roundheaded S door into vestry, later chamfered, and pointed W window and door. Under NE window arched tomb recess, under SE window ogee arched tomb recess. In SE rectangular niche. Nave roof plain and W bay has 3 posts on each side with large arch-braces to support bellstage with 5 C17 bells. Memorial on S wall 1693 to Meinertzhagen family brought from Germany C19. Font in NW C12 square bowl on C19 base. Furnishings C19 except early C20 Jacobean altar and pulpit. VCH; Vol 4; 1911; p508-9, Buildings of England; Pevsner; 1966 p340

Listing NGR: SU3201227629

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 508-509
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 340

National Grid Reference: SU 32594 26749

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 11:10:06.