List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARRINGTON PARK

List entry Number: 1172292

Location

BARRINGTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityBarrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARRINGTON BARRINGTON PARK SP 2013-2113 10/20 Barrington Park 23.1.52 GV I Exterior and interior not accessible at time of survey (May 1986). Palladian style country house, built 1736-8 for Charles Talbot, Lord Chancellor to George II, reputedly designed by William Kent but more probably designed and built by Francis Smith of Warwick. Extended in keeping 1870-3 by Edward Rhys Wingfield (architects William Burn, J. McV Anderson and H. L. Anderson). Ashlar, stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Rectangular plan to the C18 main body with late C19 extensions at each gable end. C19 porch added to the entrance front. Two storeys and rusticated basement. Entrance front; 3:3:3-windowed with the C18 treated as three wide bays at the centre. Windows to basement under each ground floor window: 15-pane sashes with moulded architraves, triangular pediments and pulvinated friezes and console brackets to the outer bays of the C18 main body. Two-pane sashes with moulded architraves and entablatures with consoles to the C19 extensions. The C18 main body has 4 pairs of giant Corinthian pilasters, and an entablature with a modillion cornice and a triangular pediment over the central bay. Balustraded parapet either side of the pediment, similar parapet at a slightly lower level to the C19 extensions. Central C19 projecting, single-storey, flat-roofed porch with a banded plinth and three round-headed archways with keystones and a balustraded parapet. The original front door survives within the porch and has a tripartite 'Venetian' arrangement. South front; rusticated basement under a piano nobile. 3:5:3 windowed with canted bays, extending up to the height of the first floor to the C19 extensions. The basement level of these bays is lit by 4-pane sashes. The basement of the C18 main body is lit by 9-pane sashes. Two-pane sashes with valances to the piano nobile and upper floor. The ground floor windows to the C18 main body have alternate segmental and triangular pediments. All other windows have lugged architraves. Five giant Corinthian pilasters divide the bays of the central block which has an entablature with a modillion cornice and triangular pediment over the central three bays. Stone balustrade either side of the pediment and at a slightly lower level to the C19 extensions. The balustrade is swept up in the form of a parapet up the former gable ends of the C18 range. Hipped roofs to the C19 extensions. Gable-end and lateral stacks with moulded cappings. Interior; reputed to be relatively unaltered. The entrance hall has rich plasterwork and eight elaborately carved pedimented door frames. The Hall, Drawing Room and Tapestry Room have ceilings attributed by D. Verey to Bagutti. The latter room has groups of musical instruments over the doorways and a frieze decorated with realistic shells above the tapestries made for the room. The chimney piece in this room is contemporary, but that in the drawing room is late C18 with Wedgwood plaques. The C19 extensions provided a billiard room, dining room and boudoir as well as a new staircase and additional bedrooms and staff quarters. The boudoir is in the style of Adam and is reputedly among the best of Victorian pastiche plasterwork. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979, V.C.H. Glos., Vol VI, p18-19; Print in S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1979 showing the unextended house; and N. Kingsley notes for forthcomng book n.d.)



Listing NGR: SP2038613555

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965), 18-19
Rudder, S, A New History of Gloucestershire, (1779)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: SP 20386 13555

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 06:20:37.