List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List entry Number: 1171487

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityLeonard Stanley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131939

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 8003 SW LEONARD STANLEY CHURCH ROAD (south side)

12/65 Church of St. Swithun

28.6.60

GV I

Former priory church, now parish church. C12; C13 and C14 additions and alterations; c1885 restoration by Bodley and Garner. Random and coursed rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with north porch, crossing tower, transepts and chancel. C12 north doorway with 2 orders of chevron-enriched round arches; 2 jamb column shafts with scalloped capitals; billeted hoodmould with beast-head stops. Part of C12 carved capital reset in niche over doorway. Early C14 porch with pointed arch in offset-buttressed parapet gabled wall. C12 round-arched window to right of porch. To left 2 C14 Decorated nave windows and one larger C15 window with Perpendicular tracery. Parapet gabled west end with C12 doorway as to north; C15 Perpendicular west window over. Flat clasping corner buttresses. Three round-arched nave windows on south side and two blocked doorways, both to same design as north door, formerly leading to cloister. Weathermoulding of lean-to cloister roof survives on nave and south transept; corbel blocks also remain on south transept. Single round-arched C12 window to south and west walls of south transept; blocked round arch on east side to former apsed chapel (roofline indicated by weathermoulding above). C15 4-centred arched doorway on west side of transept gave further access to cloister. C14 Decorated west window and large C15 Perpendicular north window to north transept with flat clasping buttresses reinforced by C19 offset buttresses. C14 east chancel window with intersecting tracery; flat buttresses to side walls and C14 Decorated windows. Large rectangular crossing tower has C12 lower stage with later belfry, probably late C13, having 2 lancet openings with timber louvres to each face except north. Crenellated tower parapet and to square stair turret in north west corner which rises above tower, having narrow lancets on north side. Tall hipped tower roof replaced spire, blown down by early C18. Interior: plaster and rubble-faced nave walls. Segmental inner arches to C12 doorways and deep splays to C12 windows. Wagon roof. Two C14 mortuary recesses in south nave wall, one altered by insertion of pointed-arched rood loft doorway. Stairs to rood loft emerge at matching pointed-arched doorway; small round-arched opening lights stair. Broad round-arched crossing with narrower arches to transepts. Western piers have been rebuilt, but eastern are original, one having fine floral carving to capital. Twin shafts to each face of piers flanked by small buttress projections. Some remnants of medieval painting on chancel arch; studded hoodmould with beast-head terminals. Flat beamed transept roofs; restored passage between south transept and chancel. Timber panelled roof to chancel and marble floor resulting from Bodley's restoration. Attached column shafts for former 2-bay cross-vaulted roof, the large shafts to each wall having carved capitals, south depicting the Nativity, north the washing of Christ's feet. Carved string course at sill level matches that over segmental-arched north aumbry, presumably C12. Reset carved tympanum depicting Adam, Eve and the Serpent over further aumbry to south; double- bowled trefoil-headed piscina to right. C19 timber panelled reredos and choir stalls. C17 communion rail with turned balusters. C20 timber pulpit; early C18 stone pedestal font. Memorials on south chancel wall: to Mrs Eleanor Rishton, died 1765, has Ionic fluted columns and broken pediment with escutcheon; to right Greek sarcophagus monument by Greenways of Bristol to Robert Sandford, died 1804. Fine memorial at west end of nave to John Holbrow, died 1780, has draped urn on delicately elaborated console bracket and obelisk background with crossed inverted tourches and crown in heaven. Royal arms over west door. Stained glass to west window of 1922 by Morris and Company. Originally the church formed part of an Augustinian priory founded by Roger de Berkeley between 1121 and 1129. Remains of the priory buildings and the earlier Saxon church stand to south and west (q.v.). (N.M. Herbert, 'Leonard Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 257- 267; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8023603266

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1972 - Volume: 10 - Page References: 257-267

National Grid Reference: SO 80231 03260

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 09:47:51.