List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GEORGE HOTEL

List entry Number: 1169387

Location

THE GEORGE HOTEL, 70, ST MARTIN'S

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityStamford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193714

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1671 ST MARTIN'S (West Side) No 70 (The George Hotel) TF 0206 1/236 TF 0306 1/236 22.5.54. II* GV 2. Front elevation of mid C18. Dated 1728 on rain-water-head). 3 storeys in ashlar, Moulded stone cornice and panelled parapet, centre containing cartouche with arms of Earl of Exeter. Stone plinth, probably earlier, 5 windows in moulded stone surrounds with triple keystones. Central round-headed arch with triple keystone over modern door Cl9 wood sign extending across the road, Remains of C17 buildings on North and to rear. Court to rear is mid C13. 3 storeys, 2 canted bay. The building stands on the site of 1 originally belonging to the Knights Hospitallers, and is a large and rambling mixture of many dates. The North elevation contains remains of 2 gables and several mullioned windows. Interior:- has been much altered, 1 Cl8 stone chimney-piece. Remains of a mediaeval hall, probably C14, including the chamfered fireplace arch and part of the screens are to be found in the gentlemen's lavatory. Includes rear premises, former stables, mainly garaging. Early C19. 2 storey in brick.

Nos 39 +o 43 (consec), Garden Wall to No 43, No 44, Wall to No 44, Nos 45 to 70 (consec), Garden Wall to Nos 68 and 69 with Burghley Almshouses form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0305106846

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 03051 06846

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 02:00:01.