List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WELLVALE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1168883

Location

WELLVALE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityWell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196111

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELL WELLVALE PARK TF 47 SW 4/45 Wellvale House (formerly listed 3.2.67 as Well Hall)

G.V. II*

Former small country house in park, now private school. Early C17, sunstantially remodelled c.1730 for James Bateman, extended late C18, for Francis Dashwood, partly gutted by fire 1845 and rebuilt 1925 by Guy Elwes. Red brick in English and Flemish bonds, ashlar dressings, plain tiled hipped roofs with lead dressings, 4 ridge brick stacks. 2 storey plus attics, originally 2:3:2, the centre bays advanced and pedimented, in front of the left hand 2 bays which are in English bond and part of the original house. An additional bay, in matching style was added to the left c.1793. The right hand 2 bays were rebuilt in 1925. Plinth, first floor band, parapet with deeply moulded ashlar cornice. Half glazed door with fan traceried overlight is set in Doric porch with triglyph frieze and pediment, reached by 3 semi-circular ashlar steps. To left 4 glazing bar sashes, to right 3 similar windows. To first floor 6 glazing bar sashes. All windows have flat brick arches. In the pediment a cartouche bearing the Bateman Arms. In the roof are 5 glazing bar dormers, pedimented with lead cheeks. The side front of 3 bays was rebuilt 1925. The rear elevation shows the advanced C17 wing, in English bond; the sash windows have clearly been inserted. Interior. Apart from the diamond set stone flagged floor the entrance hall and stair date from 1925. The plaster vaulted passage to the rear of the hall appears to be original along with the ornate chimney piece in former drawing room, with pulvinated garlanded frieze with oak leaves and ribbons. A similar smaller chimney piece with eared surround can be found in the former Principal Bedroom. Late C18 back stairs with turned balusters, and dado panelling. The importance of Wellvale House lies in its park setting and the careful landscape relationship between house and church. Source: Country Life, 14 December, 1972.

Listing NGR: TF4468073550

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 14 December, (1972)
Other
Part 27 Lincolnshire,

National Grid Reference: TF 44680 73550

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:44:15.