List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1168596

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HAUGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityRigsby with Ailby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196087

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RIGSBY WITH AILBY HAUGH ROAD TF 47 NW (north side) 2/21 Church of St. James 3.2.6j II

Parish church. 1863 by James Fowler in the Neo-Norman style. Rock faced limestone with slate roof, decorative ridge tiles. Nave with western bellcote and porch, apsidal chancel. The west end has clasping buttresses and 2 moulded strings. The gabled porch has a latticed design in the gable and a cross fleury. The roll moulded round headed outer arch has angle shafts with waterleaf capitals. The plainer inner doorway is similar. Above the porch is an elaborate octofoil west window, the radiating spokes with figured capitals, the lights having scalloped heads, all set in a circular opening with zigzag surround and a carved beast's head at the top. The projecting sexagonal bellcote with ashlar spire, has elaborately corbelled base with stiff leaf foliage and Caernarvon arched openings with mid wall shafts and scalloped capitals. The nave side walls have plinths, cill bands with pilasters, head bands and moulded corbelled eaves. 3 round headed chamfered windows to south side and 2 similar to the north. The apse is similarly detailed and also has 3 windows. The vestry on the north side is gabled with a single matching light. Interior. The walls are of fairfaced yellow brick work with red brick and red stone bands, ashlar dressings and roll moulded sill band. The splayed rear arches of the windows are in alternate red and yellow stripes. The north door to the vestry is a re-used C12 round headed arch with chamfered imposts. The chancel arch springs from tapering annular corbels, with square imposts of stiff leaf design. The roll moulded and filleted arch has alternating red and yellow voussoirs. In the chancel a reset aumbry with moulded and pointed head. Behind the altar a tiled mosaic reredos, with Alpha, Omega and Cross in circles. Minton tiled floors. Fittings include panelled ashlar pulpit with foliate columns and scalloped corbels, the wooden furnishings and altar rail are also in the Neo-Norman style. Good C14 octagonal font with moulded base, trefoil traceried panels to the bowl. Monuments. A late Greek Revival wall monument of 1854 to James Mason, in form of a pedimented panel with acanthus brackets and the Dove of the Spirit.

Listing NGR: TF4309075387

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 43090 75387

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:43:42.