List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1167714

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityLittle Somborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140833

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE SOMBORNE LITTLE SOMBORNE SU 33 SE 5/12 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

29/5/57 II*

Redundant church. Saxon C11 nave with C12 features, C12 chancel long demolished. W bellcote. Rendered rubble flint with stone dressings, colourwashed, old plain tile roof and weatherboarded bellcote. E end probably altered C17 when chancel demolished, wall built under chancel arch with 3-light ovolo mullioned window. Above arch 2 restored late C12 painted lancets, probably reset from chancel. To N wall at E remains of pilaster strip with wooden lintel indicating remains of door. E of centre is late C12 squareheaded light with rebate. W of centre similar squareheaded doorway with chamfer and C17 door. High set to W behind glazed sheet is roundheaded Saxon window minus some dressings. Beside is complete pilaster strip. On S to E large C13 pointed lancet with chamfer and rebate for timber frame. To E of centre, opposite other, is squareheaded late C12 light. To W of centre is late C12 roundheaded door of chamfered order with label and imposts. To W C19 large rectangular window, high set. Near W corner remains of strip pilaster. W end has C14 pointed 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil over. Above square-plan bellcote with hipped roof containing bell date 1604. Inside walls stripped of plaster and floor removed, partly replaced by flagstones. E wall has C12 pointed chancel arch, probably of 2 orders, inner has shafts with small scalloped capitals, and abaci hacked off. On S side of arch small roundheaded niche or possible reset C12 window. Above wide splays to lancets. Widely splayed roundheaded arches to E of centre windows. SE C13 lancet has wide splay. Cambered heads to rear archer of doors. C19 SW window has beside blocked Saxon window matching that to N. Pointed splayed rear arch of W window. Cl7 queen strut roof with curved struts and paired windbraces. Built into this frame for bellstage and bellcote, posts C20. C19 font. VCE; Vol4; p 482. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p322.

Listing NGR: SP3428632629

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1911 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 482
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 322

National Grid Reference: SU 38216 32655

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 07:27:40.