List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POWCHER'S HALL

List entry Number: 1167407

Location

POWCHER'S HALL, THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityEly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48708

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 Powcher's Hall (formerly listed as part of Residences incorporating remains of Infirmary including TL 5479 2/98 Chapel) 23.9.50. GV 2. The building at the north west end of Infirmary Lane was originally the Blood Letting House, built in the early Cl4 to accommodate the monks who underwent the Ely practice of blood letting once every 6 weeks. In 1416, it is recorded, Prior Powcher caused to be built, almost anew, the hall in the Infirmary for those who had been bled. A 3rd storey, which is timber- framed, was added in the early Cl6. On the south side there are 5 bays of the C12 Infirmary arcading with alternate round and octagonal columns and richly ornamental arches and capitals and 3 tall round headed clerestorey windows above with nook shafts on what was originally the outside face. The nave arches are now blocked and have C20 windows. The north front is buttressed and the 2nd storey has some timber-framing with brick nogging. The windows are much altered, some are double-hung sashes with glazing bars and some are mullioned and transomed casements. Roofs tiled, the eastern part is steeply pitched with a C16 roof structure. The interior has moulded beams.

The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House), the Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery), the Black Hostelry and Cellarers Chamber and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School0 form a group. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5415680201

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54156 80201

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:34:17.