List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELY PORTA

List entry Number: 1167340

Location

ELY PORTA, THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityEly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48703

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE COLLEGE 1. l082 Ely Porta TL 5479 2/5 25.9.50. GV 2 Ely Porta was begun in 1397 and was completed by Prior Poucher (140l-18). It comprises a large, rectangular, 5 storey block of rag-stone with Weldon (or similar) stone dressings. 4 square, castellated, corner turrets are carried above the parapet level. On the north and south ends there is the original castellated parapet and on the east and west fronts there is a later plain brick parapet. A large central carriage way rises through 2 storeys with a wide single 4-centred arch on the east front and 2 4-centred arches on the west front one for carriages and the other, smaller, for pedestrians. The vaulting on the inside is incomplete. The windows on the east and west fronts are similar in design. On each front, above the carriageway, on the 2nd storey there is a pointed arched, 3-light, window with curvilinear tracery lighting what was the Bishop's court room. The flanking ranges of windows are 2-light with cusped arched heads and square hood moulds, except on the ground storey on the north end of the west front which has a small single light window lighting what was the Bishop's prison and, according to prison reports, was in use as such up to the end of the Cl7 when the prison was moved to Lynn Road, The 2nd storey on the west front has 4 canopied niches. String courses run between the storeys and beneath the parapet. Roof tiled, hipped, a later replacement of the original flat leaded roof.

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's house, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5400880029

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54008 80029

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 02:20:37.