List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GUEST QUARTERS OF THE MONASTERY

List entry Number: 1167322

Location

GUEST QUARTERS OF THE MONASTERY, THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityEly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 Guest Quarters of tile Monastery 1 GV 2. The guest quarters of the monastery, now part of King's School, comprises 2 ranges of buildings extending south from the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House) and backing on to the The Gallery 2 storeys and attics. The north range, of 8 bays, is late Norman circa 1180 built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack stone dressings. Originally it was probably used as a granary. In the C14 it was considerably altered when it became the guest quarters and an upper storey was inserted (in the northern half). The front is divided by flat pilasters weathered on top and some with original gargoyles, The northern part has a trefoil arched corbel table on the west side The ground storey lids a fine vaulted undercroft with ribs springing from a central row of octangonal pillars without capitals. On the west side the windows on the first storey are C14 trefoil headed lancers and the undercroft is lit by paired trefoil headed windows. A stone stringcourse runs above the undercroft windows. The east side has C19 and C20 windows and a good late Norman doorway with a semi-circular arch above a segmental arch and 2 orders of columns with waterleaf capitals. The south range was built in the Cl4, shortly after the north range was completed and is divided into 5 bays by buttresses with 2 offsets and weathered at the top. It is built of Carr stone rubble with Northamptonshire stone dressings, with a parapet, stringcourse and a plinth. The windows are single lights with double-chamfered reveals, cusped heads and hood moulds. The undercroft is brick vaulted. On the east side a C14 external covered staicase wing projects at the north end. roofs tiled, with original heavy trussed rafters carried over both ranges.

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta. Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.







Listing NGR: TL5401880128

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54018 80128

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:42:52.