List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITHOUT THE PRIORY GATE

List entry Number: 1167160

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITHOUT THE PRIORY GATE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireWinchesterDistrict AuthoritySouthwick and Widley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 146595

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 6208 SOUTHWICK AND WIDLEY HIGH STREET, EAST SIDE 17/37 Church of St James Without 6.3.67 the Priory Gate (formerly listed as Church of James) I An Augustinian priory was established at Southwick c.1150, but the church probably existed before that time. John Whyte was granted the possession of the priory (at the Dissolution) in 1539, and also the offices and dignities of Lay Prior, Ordinary, Patron and Rector of the Peculiar and Parish of Southwick. John Whyte restored (virtually rebuilt) the church in 1566, and it is clear that materials from the priory became re-used, including some detailed features. Walls of flint and stone rubble, with extensive roughcast rendering: upper tower walls of flint, and lower of stone and flint chequerwork: stone dressings. Tile roof. Nave with medieval south wall, containing moulded stone features from the priory, chancel, north chapel and north aisle of the Tudor restoration, a south porch, and a west tower set within the west end of the nave. The arcading has flattened Tudor arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps, there are C14 windows to the nave and coupled Tudor lights to the north aisle and chapel, a Perpendicular east window, and triple "domestic" windows to the chancel. There is a remarkable series of furnishings. A C18 wood reredos with coupled Doric fluted pilasters supporting a balustrade (all painted to imitate marble), enclosing a painting of cherubs in adoration. Panelling with bolection mouldings flanks the reredos: there is an Elizabethan altar table and a Jacobean communion rail. Two box pews (one the Squire's Pew) are in the chancel: three decker pulpit of C16 and C17 panelling. Late C17 west gallery with panelled front above four twisted oak pillars, approached by stairways from the panelled entrance beneath the tower. C12 octagonal font on a late C19 Gothic base. The Whyte monument between chancel and chapel comprises a C15 table tomb with shields (some with brass faces) in quatrefoils, and moulded slab with later inset brasses to the Whyte family, and a classical canopy (1566) with detached columns on pedestals, supporting gabled entablatures, and a central entablature with a pediment. Opposite, a three- panelled moulded stone frame contains plaques with the Arms of the Norton family. Two wall monuments in the chapel are dated 1748 and 1754 and the chapel altar is of panelled stone. A panel above the chancel beam contains the Prescriptions, and two on the front of the gallery are bequest boards: there is a hatchment west of the south door (leading to the former porch, now the vestry). Other fittings include two brass chandeliers, fragments of glass, and a carved Purbeck capitol of 'stiff-leaf' style.

Listing NGR: SU6264608510

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 62594 08644

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:04:30.