List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRYERN COURT

List entry Number: 1166571

Location

FRYERN COURT, FRYERN COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityFordingbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143950

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORDINGBRIDGE

1830/5/84 FRYERN COURT 30-SEP-64 UPPER BURGATE Fryern Court

II*



House, with attached stable. Second half C15 or early C16 for Beaulieu Abbey; alterations and additions C16, C17, C18 and early-C19; and circa 1932 by Christopher Nicholson for Augustus John. Older parts timber-framed, part on rubblestone ground floor, with brick infill and additions and old plain tile roofs; early-C19 range of yellow brick with hipped Welsh slate roof and brick chimneys. Two-storey 3-bay floored hall-range with 2-storey 2-bay cross-wing at left (south) end and C18 2-storey 2-bay addition with rear outshut at right end. Further 2-bay wing, formerly 2-storeyed, attached to rear of cross-wing, but off-set rather than in-line. Early-C19 range, of 2 storeys with attic and partial cellar, 6 bays, built across east front of cross-wing and hall-range, leaving exposed one bay of hall-range and C18 addition.

East (entrance) elevation: C19 range: near-central 1930s porch and entrance. 2 + 3 full-height 15-pane sashes to ground floor, 6 unevenly-spaced sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor, all in reveals with gauged flat brick arches and projecting sills. Eaves band. Modillion brackets to oversailing low-pitched roof with flat-roofed dormers set in front of tall end-stacks. At left end, 1930s single-storey flat-roofed extension with balustrade. At right end, the former timber-framed range is clad in red brick with some burnt headers in Flemish bond. To 1st floor, on left, a 2-light wood-framed window has a leaded casement with iron stanchion. Right gable has exposed timbers. Large multiple-flue brick end-stack shared with added, lower, extension which is of red brick in various bonds, part painted, and with bellcote and half-hipped roof at right end.

Rear: mostly pebble-dashed and all painted. Former hall range, slightly lower than C19 range, has flat-roofed canted-bay window flanked by paired sashes and, above, 3 horned 12-pane sashes which break through eaves; brick stack rises from front roof pitch to right of centre. Former cross-wing, projecting on right, has a window of 3 narrow lights with leaded casements to ground floor, and on left, added porch with 1st-floor room over; end stack. Projecting further rearwards is the other former-wing, subsequently outbuilding, with stable attached (alterations and stable of C18). It has 3 lunette windows with glazing bars, and 3 board doors, that on right to stable and with loft taking-in hatch above set under hipped roof with slate-hung cheeks.

Interior: former hall range has large-scantling spine-beams with deep chamfers and stepped-cyma stops. At left end, traces of stencil decoration on soffits of beams and close-set large-scantling joists with carpenters? marks and stopped chamfers. At right end, pieces of medieval masonry set in end-wall. C18/early-C19 features which include large fireplace with plain surround; bow-fronted dresser with stairs rising behind; board-lined walls with strap-hinged doors; and brick stair down to cellar revealing former east wall of hall range which has small square panels with brick infill. 1st floor: folding shutter to front window; exposed curved wind-braces and large-scantling purlins. In roof, old timbers, those at left end charred. Former cross-wing: rear wall, within boiler house, has rubblestone ground floor and close-studded timber-framing above with herring-bone brick infill; the left-hand wall at rear end (within basement) has a stone pier with chamfer to right side and large-scantling post on left. Rear bay has close-set joists as in hall range. In roof, large-scantling timbers include collared principal rafter roof trusses with queen-struts and two tiers of stop-chamfered through purlins; curved wind-braces; pegged common rafters. Former rearmost wing: walls formerly close-studded; the rear (west) wall with later square-panelled brick-infilled timber-framing, and the right (north) wall removed when the wing was enlarged with an outshut making use of earlier cruck-blades. Much original timber-framing remains, including jowelled wall-posts, arch-braced to tie-beams and wall-plate; collared principal rafter roof trusses with queen posts and straight angle braces, and with upper v-braces at closing (west) truss; through purlins; curved wind-braces. Remains of C19 hand-pump and mechanisms. Early-C19 range: decorative fireplaces; 6-panel doors; dog-leg stair with turned balusters and ramped hand-rail; in attic, 2-panel doors, leaded casement windows, and butt purlin roof. Stable: two large stalls with boarded walls and gates; brick-paved floor; bow-fronted shelved corner cupboard; large-scantling beams and joists and wide floor-boards to loft floor.

Information provided by Edward Roberts. E Hockey, Beaulieu: King John?s Abbey, pp. 36-8, 166, 197. Victoria County History of Hampshire, Vol. iv, pp. 565 & 571.















Listing NGR: SU1427716193

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 565, 571
Roberts, E, Hockey, E, Beaulieu: King John's Abbey36-8, 166

National Grid Reference: SU 14275 16174

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:55:27.