List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANBRIDGE EARLS

List entry Number: 1166424

Location

STANBRIDGE EARLS, B3084

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityRomsey Extra

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 141164

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROMSEY EXTRA B 3084 SU 32 SW 2/16 Stanbridge Earls 29.5.57 (formerly listed as Stanbridge School, Stanbridge Earls)

GV II*

Medium-sized country house is used as a school. A site of Saxon occupation, with continuous residence from the C13: by the mid C14 a substantial stone- built hall, with an east tower and a south chapel existed (and virtually remains): about 1840 additions were made and in 1895 a large series of additions in conforming scale : in the C20 service wings of similar style were added, of a lesser scale. The north front is ashlar of the medieval building, with later west-side extension in roughcast, the stonework of the north east corner (originally the tower) returns on the east and south (part) with a recessed roughcast section separating it from a south side wing (1895) of brickwork, the south range is brickwork of English bond, except for the middle section of ground- floor walling (the south wall of the chapel) of stone and flint with stone dressings; the latest work is rendered. Tile roof, with Tudor stacks of c1900. The main (north) front is symmetrical in general form, of two storeys and attic, 1.5.1 windows, arranged irregularly in the recessed centre: and with 1.3.1 gables (four of the C17) which are rendered. The walling is ashlar (except the west side), the fenestration is mid C17 with oak mullion and transom windows of varied sizes, in the centre is a gabled porch of 1658. The east elevation shows as two tall gabled blocks (with only one window), the north side being the medieval tower and the south of similar form in brickwork of English bond, separated by a recess above a half-glazed porch (1895). The south elevation has gabled projections (1895) at each side of two storeys and attic one window, the centre being of two storeys five above six windows: the central part is c1840, although half the ground-floor is the medieval chapel, with four coupled stone windows. To the west of the main block, the service additions (c1900 and later) are of lower height but two-storeyed, in a vernacular style; these irregular units surround a small courtyard, entered through an archway. The interior has some C17 oak panelling and some rooms with pinewood panelling (early C19), there is a stone Tudor fireplace (probably reset) and an upper room has the arch-braced main truss of the (probable) medieval solar.

Listing NGR: SU3374723202

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 33773 23194

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 09:32:16.