List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRANDON OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1166332

Location

BRANDON OLD HALL, BACK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityHough-on-the-Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193186

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 94 NW HOUGH-ON-THE-HILL BACK LANE BRANDON (east side)

Brandon Old Hall (Formerly 3/96 listed as Brandon Old Hall 19-2-52 and garden wall) G.V. II* House. Early C16, 1637, C18, C19, C20. Coursed dark gold bands of ironstone, light gold bands of ironstone, narrow bands of blue lias and limestone ashlar dressings, slate, plaintile and pantile roofs with stone coped gables, finials, slight kneelers and 2 coped stone ridge stacks. L-plan with C16 and C17 west range and lower C18 and C19 range at rear. 2 storeys and garret, 5 bay west front. Ironstone banded wall and window, below first floor moulded stringcourse of C16. Inserted rectangular headed doorway with ashlar surround and panel door to south with single rectangular window to south and 2 rectangular windows to north. All the windows are of 3 pointed stone lights with moulded mullions. Upper storey, includingnarrow bands of blue lias added in 1637 as were the quoins. 5 windows with 3, three light mullion windows alternating with 2, two light mullion windows. Between the second window from the north and the third is a datestone inscribed "1637 PRE" South return of early C17 masonry with first and second floor moulded stringcourses. Low C20 ground floor rectangular bay windows with a 3 light mullion window above and another 3 light mullion window with a moulded cornice in the gable. East front has a central doorway inserted into mullion window, with plain door and moulded cornice above. Say to the south of 1637 with 3 light mullion window with moulded cornice and another 3 light mullion window above. Banded masonry begins just south of door with a 3 light mullion window with cornice to north, another 3 light mullion window above and 2 light mullion window over door. Small C20 dormer with casement over north bay. C18 and C19 brick extension to west with irregular fenestration, C20 casements with glazing bars and wooden lintels. Doorway in north return. Interior has fragmentary screens passage, and a mutilated chamfered and straight angled cut-stopped beam spans hall fire opening. Staggered butt purlin roof.

Listing NGR: SK9041248338

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 90412 48338

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 05:24:33.