List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CORNELIUS

List entry Number: 1166212

Location

CHURCH OF ST CORNELIUS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityLinwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 18 NW LINWOOD CHURCH LANE

2/16 Church of St. Cornelius 1.11.66

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, C13, C14, C15, restoration of 1854 and 1868. Coursed and squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate and lead roofs with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, chancel, aisles, south chapel, south porch. The tall 3 stage C14 tower has roll moulded plinth, angle buttresses, single string course, moulded parapet with gargoyles to the angles. 2 light western window has cusped ogee heads, wave moulded reveal with hood mould and C19 human head labels. In the belfry stage are paired C15 lights with cusped heads and panel tracery to each face. The tower has a recessed octagonal limestone spire with trefoil headed lucarnes and projecting heads in the 4 principal directions. The C19 north aisle west window is of 3 lights with segmental head, in the north wall is a double chamfered doorway recut in the C19 and a further C19 3 light window. At the north east angle of the aisle are 2 corner buttresses terminating in C14 floriated canopies. The east aisle window is C14 and has 3 lights with round cusped heads and a segmental arched head. The C19 chancel has paired lights in the north wall with quatrefoils over. A 3 light window is in the east wall. The south wall of the chancel has a 2 light C19 window. The south chapel, with leaded roof, has a 2 light C19 east window, and 3 further similar windows on the south side of chapel and aisle. The nave clerestorey consists of 3 pairs of C13 lights beneath segmental arches with cusped ogee heads and panel tracery, on both north and south sides. In the west wall of the aisle is a small late C12 round headed window with hollow chamfer. The C19 gabled porch has pointed and moulded outer arch. The C14 inner doorway is single chamfered with simple chamfered imposts and hood mould. Interior. The early C14 3 bay arcades have double chamfered arches on octagonal piers on moulded capitals. The C14 tower arch has double wave mouldings dying into the reveals without capitals. The keeled and double chamfered arch is C19. From south aisle is a late C13 arch to south chapel supported on octagonal corbels, that on south side having an earlier annular capital beneath it. In the north nave wall is a doorway at high level to the rood loft and also in the nave 8 C14 corbels support the C19 roof and are decorated with human heads. In the north aisle east wall is a statue bracket and aumbry. In the chancel south wall is a double chamfered arch with octagonal responds opening into the former south chapel now vestry, and the presumably reset remains of a late C13 double piscina with engaged shafts and human masks on the bowls, surmounted by C19 trefoil over. Fittings. The reredos is a fine C19 tiled composition and above are 2 tin commandment boards. All fittings are C19, the chancel screen was erected in 1911, but the font is a recut of the original late C13 font and includes the original base. It comprises an octagonal bowl with traceried panels on a square pedestal with engaged columns at the angles, on a stepped base. In the aisle and chancel windows is late C19 stained glass. At the west end of the south aisle is a battered C17 chest. Monuments. At the west end of the north aisle are 2 fine early C15 brasses. On the north is a merchant, John Lyndewode, d.1421, with his feet resting on a woolsack on which is his woolmark. On the south is a merchant and his wife, John and Alice Lynwode, d.1419, with beneath a panel containing 7 figures under cusped arcades. Below this is the inscription recording the deceased. All 3 have elaborately cusped ogee canopies. Between the 2 brasses is an abraded slab with a Lombardic inscription and probably the matrix for a now vanished brass. In the chancel is a restrained brass plate to Rev. Humphrey Henchman, B.A., d.1785.

Listing NGR: TF1140785687

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 11405 85687

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 12:24:29.