List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH WING OF COWLEYS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1166210

Location

NORTH WING OF COWLEYS SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth HollandDistrict AuthorityDonington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONINGTON SCHOOL LANE TF 23 NW (north side) North wing of 2/31 Cowleys School 25.10.51 (formerly listed as Donington Cowley's Secondary School)

G.V. II School hall and classroom. 1861. Red brick with ashlar dressings, plain tile roof, with raised stone coped gables, finials and kneelers, one ashlar stack. L-plan. Single storey, 6 bay front, the right hand bay advanced and gabled. Plinth, stone bracketed chamfered eaves. Buttresses with raked tops. To right a Tudor arched door with moulded ashlar reveals, above a stepped ashlar panel containing foliage, inscription and date 1861. Above is a 3 light mullioned and transomed window. To left are 4 two light and a single 3 light similar window. All windows have chamfered ashlar surrounds. In the gables are 2 small square lights with diamond set quatrefoils. Interior of the hall has a fine hammer beam roof with moulded ashlar corbels. Built as an addition to T. Cowley's original foundation of 1719.

Listing NGR: TF2120335712

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 21209 35685

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:38:21.