List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1166203

Location

CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityToft Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196539

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 08 NE TOFT NEWTON MAIN STREET (Newton by Toft)

11/59 Church of St. Michael

1-11-66 II*

Parish Church; C12, C13, C14, C16, restoration of 1860 by James Fowler of Louth. Roughly coursed limestone and ironstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross fleury to ridges. Nave with western bellcote, chancel, south porch. West end has single C19 lancet and C19 gabled ashlar bellcote with single bell opening. On the north side of the nave the blocked 3 bay arcade visible. It is lit by 2 C19 lancets and a single C19 2 light window. Towards the east end is a chimney stack the top part in ashlar with foiled quatrefoil decoration. The east end has a single C19 2 light window. The south side of the chancel has a 2 light late C13 2 light window with recut Y tracery. The nave has 3 light C16 window with roll moulded reveals and four centred head. The south porch and south doorway are C19 Early English style. The interior: The blocked late C13 3 bay north arcade has octagonal columns and plain capitals. The chancel arch is C12, small and narrow with no decoration. All furnishings and fittings date from the 1860 restoration as does the stained glass in chancel and east end. The floor is partly of Minton tiles. The font is a plain octagonal bowl on a C19 base. Monuments: In the chancel, in C19 plain alcoves on either side of the altar are 2 miniature C14 stone effigies. That on the north is of a lady, hands in prayer and feet resting on a dog. Inscribed in Lombardic script is her name "Helaine", On the south side is a male civilian with his feet on a woolstack, inscribed "William". Both figures lie on small coffin shaped slabs and have been colour washed.

Listing NGR: TF0510487358

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 05104 87358

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:28:09.