List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1166122

Location

CHURCH OF ST. MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityKirkby Underwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRKBY UNDERWOOD CHURCH LANE TF 02 NE (south side) 6/143 Church of St.Mary 30.10.68 and All Saints G.V. I

Parish church. Cll, late C12, early C13, mid C14, C15, restored 1893. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, some ironstone rubble. Lead and plain tile roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials, some decorative ridge tiles. West tower, nave with blocked north arcade and south aisle with south porch, chancel. Early C15 unbuttressed west tower with plinth and moulded string course. C15 pointed west window with chamfered surround, 2 pointed, cusped lights and early incipient panel tracery, hood mould runs into string course on each side. Narrow trefoil headed light above. East side with outline of original nave gable. C15 bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, chamfered surround, 2 pointed cusped lights with cusped opening above and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with single central gargoyles on each side; battlements and ornate corner pinnacles. North side of nave rebuilt in C19 with 2 stage buttresses alternating with 3 windows with flattened triangular heads each with 2 cusped, pointed lights, cusped oculus, hood mould and label stops. Doorway beneath central window with flattened triangular head, continuous chamfered surround and panelled door. Cll fragment of interlace used as quoin on north- west corner. Early C15 clerestory above with 3 windows with flattened triangular heads, each with 2 cusped, pointed lights with a cusped opening above. North side of chancel with moulded string course and a C19 pointed window with 2 pointed cusped lights, cusped oculus, hood mould and label stops. East end flanked by 2 stage diagonal buttresses. Moulded string course runs under a C19 pointed window with 3 pointed cusped lights and 3 cusped oculi, hood mould and label stops. Section of Anglo Saxon interlace carving embedded to left of window. South side of chancel with moulded string course and pointed C19 window with 2 trefoil headed lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and label stops. East end of the south aisle with fragmentary plinth and late C15 window with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround and 2 pointed cusped lights. South side of aisle with moulded plinth and early C14 window to east with 3 plate, ogee headed narrow lights. Numerous fragments of Cll sculpture, mostly of stylised flower heads embedded in south wall of aisle and chancel. C15 gabled porch to west with triangular headed south doorway and continuous chamfered surround. Porch interior with early C13 south doorway with pointed head, continuous chamfered surround and plank door. Niche above with cusped, ogee shaped head. C15 window to the west of porch with 2 pointed lights. C15 clerestory above with 3 windows with flattened triangular heads, 2 cusped, round headed lights and cusped opening above. Late C12 interior tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head dying into rectangular jambs. North arcade blocked but 3 bay early C13 arcade exposed with pointed double chamfered heads, semi-circular responds, quatrefoil piers with moulded capitals and western-most pier with fillets. Mid C13 south arcade of 3 bays with pointed, double chamfered heads with hood moulds and head in spandrel to west. Triple rolled responds with continuous hollows, central fillet and moulded capitals. Quatrefoil pier to east with moulded capital and fillets. Pier to west re-modelled in mid C14 with quatrefoil plan with small slender rolls inserted in cusps and rich foliate capitals in continuous band. Rectangular opening to east high in arcade wall originally giving access to rood loft, no longer extant. C19 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, the inner order supported on corbels, hood mould and label stops. South wall of chancel with 2 C19 trefoil headed sedilia with continuous moulded surround. Pointed C19 piscina in north wall with continuous chamfered surround. Choir stalls and reading desk incorporate large finialled C16 bench ends. C17 polygonal pulpit with field panelling and upper looped frieze. C19 pews, altar rail and brass lectern. Fragment of sculpted stone of c.1300 with leaf trails and human head. Early C13 font heavily restored in C19 with round plinth and pedestal and plain octagonal bowl. Tower interior with faded hatchment, small Lord's Prayer board, and various C18 and C19 plaques commemorating charitable bequests. Tie beams of nave roof inscribed with date 1817.

Listing NGR: TF0698127045

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 06981 27045

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 12:16:19.