List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE

List entry Number: 1166017

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityHolton Le Moor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196490

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 09 NE HOLTON LE MOOR CHURCH LANE (south side) 5/9 Church of 1-11-66 Saint Luke

G.V. II

Parish Church, Cll, C13, 1854 restoration and rebuilding by George Place; 1926 alteration and addition by H.G. Gamble, unfinished; Coursed rubble ironstone, ashlar dressings, red brick, slate roofs with stone coped gables. Nave, south aisle and porch, south chapel, chancel, vestry, organ chamber. The south aisle is the original nave and has a gabled roof which terminates in a western gabled ashlar C19 bellcote with twin openings. The west end of the aisle has 2 stepped buttresses and 2 tall C19 lancets; in the return on the north side of the aisle is a carved C13 gravestone built into the wall. The west end of the nave is in brick and has 2 C20 lancets. The vestry is in ironstone and has a C20 lancet and a C20 Tudor style door opening. The vestry and organ chamber were obviously intended to be joined to form a north aisle but this has been left unfinished and the temporary walls are in brick, toothed out to take an ironstone extension. The north side of the nave has 2 three light C20 windows in perpendicular style. The organ chamber has a C20 lancet, a large opening, blocked by brick, and a C20 Tudor door opening. The east end is in brickwork, the flanking walls are in ironstone, again toothed out showing that the nave was intended to be extended. The east window is a C20 5 light in Perpendicular style. The east window of the south chapel is C19 3 light and the south side has a 2 light window, a door and a lancet, all in the Early English style. The south aisle has 2 C19 two light window and a single lancet. The C19 south porch leads to the Saxo Norman south door, possibly reset during the 1854 restoration; it is very low with plain imposts, slightly chamfered at their lower edge and has a semi circular arch with crudely cut tympanum. The interior; the 3 bay south arcade has C20 octagonal columns. The nave is entirely plain, and all fittings are C19 or C20. In the west end of the south aisle is a C13 capital inverted and set into the wall, used originally as a font. The hexagonal font is now a C20 reconstruction using some C12 fragments of a circular tub with cable moulding round the top. The south chapel walls are painted with stencil decoration and texts. The stained glass at the east end dates from 1893. In the vestry are 5 wall tablets to the Dixon family dating from late C18 to early C19.

Listing NGR: TF0821297820

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 08212 97820

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 04:56:51.