List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

List entry Number: 1165999

Location

CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityHorbling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194344

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORBLING HIGH STREET TF 13 NW (east side) 1/130 Church of St. Andrew 30.10.68 G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, mid C13, c.1330, late C15, restored 1852, 1877 and 1879. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped east gable with cross finial. Nave with north and south aisles and south porch, north and south transepts with crossing tower, chancel. West front of c.1170, remodelled in late C15 and clasped by west fronts of north and south aisles. West front proper with fragmentary plinth and rubble walling reaching up to string course running below east window. Squat central and tall flanking pilaster buttresses, the latter with angle shafts with waterleaf and beaded cushion capitals. C15 west window breaks through C12 blind arcade, the latter with single shaft to left with moulded base and beaded cushion capital which supports springing of partially intact round arch; single shaft to right which supports springing of partially intact round arch; single shaft to right with plain cushion capital. Large C15 window with pointed head, 5 cusped, ogee headed lights with 2 transoms, panel tracery, hood mould and block label stops. Outline of more steeply pitched C12 gable flanks window head. Moulded string course and battlements above. West front of C12 north arcade remodelled in C14 with moulded plinth, string course and 2 stage gabled buttress to north. Pointed window of 3 crisped ogee headed lights, 2 cusped mouchettes with quatrefoil, hood mould and block label stops. Moulded parapet above. C14 north aisle with moulded plinth and string courses running over regularly placed 2 stage gabled buttresses. Doorway to west with pointed head with filleted rolls, 2 shafts on each side with moulded capitals, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. 3 pointed windows to east partially restored in C19, each with 3 ogee headed, cusped lights, 2 mouchettes, quatrefoil, hood mould and label stops. Moulded parapet above. Late C15 clerestory above with 8 closely set windows with bowtell moulded surrounds, triangular heads, 3 cusped lights, those flanking, with triangular heads, and hood moulds. Moulded eaves and battlements above. C12 north transept remodelled in C14 with plinth and moulded string courses running over 2 stage gabled angle buttresses. Tall C14 pointed north window with pointed head and 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. East side of transept with pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, 3 mouchettes and hood mould. C12 chancel with moulded string course running over 3 pilaster buttresses. 2 C12 windows with round heads, and single flanking nook shafts with scalloped and cushion capitals. Windows flank single blocked window with west jamb visible and fragmentary cushion capital. C12 corbel table. East end with plinth and rubble walling running up to level of moulded string course. Squat central and tall flanking pilaster buttresses, the latter with angle shafts with scalloped capitals. 3 lancets of 1852, with continuous hood mould. South side of chancel with plinth. Moulded string course runs over 3 pilaster buttresses. 2 C19 round headed windows, both with round heads, nook shafts with scalloped capitals of various designs and double billet hood mould. C15 blocked doorway below to west with triangular moulded head and chamfered jambs. C12 south transept remodelled in C14 with moulded plinth and C14 2 stage buttress to east, C12 squat central pilaster buttress and C12 pilaster buttress to west. Late C15 pointed window with 3 cusped, pointed lights, panel tracery, double bowtell moulded surround, hood mould and angel label stops. Sundial in gable. West side of transept with C19 doorway with triangular head, chamfered surround and panelled door. C12 ironstone rubble walling above. C12 crossing tower remodelled in c.1330 with C12 pilaster angle buttresses with angle shafts with cushion capitals. South east corner with C14 3 stage polygonal stair turret with slit stairlights. North and south sides with outline of original steeply pitched transept roof gables. East side with C12 lancet. C14 bell openings on all 4 sides, each with round, roll moulded head with roll moulded Y tracery, outer pointed head with single flanking shafts and with plate quatrefoil between the round and pointed heads, and hood mould. Moulded eaves with several gargoyles. Battlements with tall corner pinnacles. C15 south aisle with plinth and moulded string courses running over regularly placed 3 stage buttresses. 3 C15 windows with double bowtell moulded surround, 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded parapet above. C19 gabled south porch to west with pointed doorway with semi-circular responds with moulded capitals. Porch interior with flanking stone benches and late C15 pointed doorway with bowtell moulded surround, hood mould and panelled doors. C15 clerestory with 8 closely set windows with bowtell moulded surrounds, triangular heads, 3 cusped lights, those flanking with triangular heads, and hood moulds. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Interior 4 bay north arcade of c.1170 with pointed double chamfered heads, triangular responds, polygonal piers and crocketed capitals. 4 bay mid C13 south arcade with pointed heads with inner chamfered order and outer hollow chamfered moulded order, semi-circular responds, round pier to west and 2 quatrefoil piers to east, all with plain moulded capitals. North doorway in north aisle with segmental hood mould and head label stops. Windows in north aisle with hood moulds and head label stops. C12 east and west crossing arches with jambs of 3 rolls, the central rolls larger, all with richly beaded scalloped capitals. Richly moulded heads repaired and refurbished in C14 re-using C12 triple rolls, but still leaning seriously out of line. C14 north and south lower crossing archways with triple chamfered pointed heads with hood mould, and responds of 6 clustered shafts with continuous hollows, each central shaft with fillet. C12 archway leads from south aisle of nave into south transept with pointed, double chamfered head dying into rectangular respond to south and into C14 stair turret inserted against south-west crossing pier. C14 doorway gives access to stairs, with triangular head, chamfered surround and ribbed C14 door with 2 wooden shields at top. Blocked, sharply pointed C12 door in south wall of south transept. C14 archway leads from north aisle of nave to north transept with pointed double chamfered head and responds with 3 rolls with continuous hollows and fillets. North transept with C15 tomb recess with richly moulded triangular head with lunette above with relief of angel and grotesque bearded figure flanking the risen Christ. Unrelated C15 tomb chest inserted below with richly cusped panels containing coats of arms and 2 central, kneeling figures supporting the arms of Sir Thomas la Laund, (died 1470). Piscina with ogee head and chamfered surround. Corbel set in east wall of head with stranded hair and head band. Brass plate above including black, blue and red decorative detail, to Reverend Thomas Brown, died 1849, designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and made by Hardman. 3 marble monuments in north transept; one in white and black marble with broken pediment with cartouche rising from broken apex, to Edmund Brown, died 1692; a white marble monument with segmental pediment, ornate apron and fluted pilasters, to Edward Brown, died 1751; and a white marble monument with ornate apron with cartouche with 2 lions rampant, to Elizabeth Brown, died 1737. ornate C16 chair with grotesque masks spewing fruit and foliage. Ashlar monument with broken pediment to Edward Brown, died 1699. Chancel with C12 sedilia with round head and roll moulded continuous surround. C12 piscina to east with round head and roll moulded surround in one. Faint outline of C12 doorway in east side of north east respond with upper round head, and segmental lower head. C12 string course, restored in C19, runs under east windows with chevron and beaded decoration. C12 north windows with continuous roll moulded surround. East lancets with nook shafts with shaft rings, Cl6 pedestal for holy statue with flower head and ribbon decoration. C19 altar rail. Monuments in chancel include 2 plain ashlar monuments to Sarah Tomisman, died 1798, and Thomas Tomisman, died 1804; ashlar plaque with pediment to Thomas Thimbleby, 1727. Small marble plaque to William Tomisman, died 1817, black and white marble monument with urn and draperies, to William Tomisman, died 1816. Fragment in nave of small scalloped capital. C14 octagonal pedestal of font with traceried panels, each with trefoiled head and with angels and foliage in spandrels. C15 octagonal font with symbols of the instruments of the Passion on each face. C15 nave tiebeam roof with small carved angels and shields. C19 aisle and chancel roofs. Monuments in nave include one to Harriet Smith, died 1808,of white marble with urn and foliage; and a brass with cusped ogee head to Benjamin Wilkinson, died 1848, probably by Pugin and Hardman. Hatchment and royal coat of arms. C19 pews, lectern, etc. Source: W. D. Wilson. The Work of the Heckington Lodge of Masons. 1315-1345. Journal of Lincolnshire's History and Archaeology. Volume 5. 1980. pp.26-27.

Listing NGR: TF1188735179

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Journal of Lincolnshires History and Archaeology - Date: 1980 - Journal Title: Journal of Lincolnshires History and Archaeology - Volume: 5 - Page References: 26-27

National Grid Reference: TF 11887 35179

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 11:05:56.