List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1165864

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthoritySkidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SKIDBROOKE AND TF 49 SW SALTFLEET HAVEN CHURCH LANE (south-east side) 5/61 Church of St. Botolph 9.3.67 I

Parish church, now redundant. Early C13, C14, C15, 1854, 1871, C20. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, limestone ashlar dressings, some red brick, some render. Slate roofs of 1854, with stone coped gables and cross finials; ashlar coped brick parapets on aisles and east gable of nave, red brick patched eaves on clerestory. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel. Mid C14 west tower with lower C13 east wall. Moulded plinth and string course, and 6 stage angle buttresses. Pointed west doorway with richly moulded head and jambs in one, hood mould and medieval door with cusping on pointed head, ribs with studs and rectangular opening with grille three-quarters of the way up. Pointed window above with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and weathered head label stops. Moulded string course above with pointed window above on west, north and south sides with hood mould only visible on east side. Each window with 2 cusped, pointed lights, 3 mouchettes, hood mould and weathered head label stops. Bell openings on all four sides, each with a pointed head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and weathered head label stops. Moulded eaves above with projecting corner gargoyles. Battlements with weathered plain corner pinnacles. West end of north aisle with pointed C13 window with lower sections of 2 damaged mullions and upper C20 wooden cross mullion window inserted. Hood mould and weathered head label stops. North aisle divided into 3 bays by 4 two stage buttresses with cusped and gabled upper terminations. Moulded plinth. Rectangular window to west with 3 pointed, cusped lights with hood mould. C13 doorway to east with pointed, double chamfered head, double chamfered jambs, hood mould and plank doors. Rectangular window to east with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Some brick patching to east and west. East end of north aisle with plinth and rectangular window with 4 pointed lights with restored heads, flanked by 2 stage buttresses. Above buttress to left, remnants of blocked C13 pointed window or archway. C15 clerestory of limestone ashlar with 4 windows partially restored in C19, with flattened triangular heads, 3 cusped and pointed lights and hood mould. North side of chancel with rectangular C15 window to west of 3 pointed lights. Brick, 2 stage buttress to east with plain corbel set in wall immediately to east. East end with 2 stage angle buttresses flanking large, pointed late C15 window with bowtell moulded surround, 5 pointed, cusped lights, rich panel tracery with transom, hood mould with weathered head label stops and restored mullions. South side of chancel with 2 stage buttresses flanking a rectangular window to east with 3 triangular headed lights and hood mould and C13 blocked pointed doorway to west with chamfered head and jambs partially exposed. Rectangular window to west with 3 pointed lights. East end of south aisle with plinth and single 2 stage buttresses flanking rectangular window with 3 pointed lights, hood mould and weathered head label stops. Immediately above right hand buttress remain 2 voussoirs of C13 window or archway with pointed head. South side of aisle with 3 stage buttresses alternating with 2 rectangular windows with undeveloped ogee heads with cusping. Gabled porch to west restored in 1871 with south doorway with pointed, double chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs, double openwork doors with pointed tracery, and corbel and inscribed plaque above. Porch interior with early C13 pointed south doorway with double chamfered head and jambs, moulded imposts, hood mould with bold dogtooth decoration, head label stops and plank door. Rectangular C14 window to west of porch with 3 cusped ogee headed lights. West end of south aisle with pointed early C13 window with C14 cusped tracery inserted, restored in C19, hood mould and weathered head label stops. C15 clerestory with 4 windows with flattened triangular heads and 3 lights with irregularly shaped cusped heads. Moulded eaves with fragmentary gargoyles. Mid C14 interior tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head dying into rectangular jambs. Large rectangular sections of C13 west end wall pre-dating arcades, set in corners between tower arch and north and south arcades. Fragmentary moulded string courses on north and south faces of C13 masonry. Early C13 north and south arcades of 4 bays. Both with tall octagonal plinths with broaches, moulded octagonal bases, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. North arcade capitals, plain. South arcade capitals with exception of western respond, with crocket capitals of various designs. Double chamfered pointed heads with remnants of painted decoration adhering on both north and south arcades. Early C13 chancel arch with keeled responds, pointed head with chamfered outer order and roll moulded inner order, damaged plain capitals and moulded abaci intact to east. Chancel arch flanked by outline of pointed C13 openings, possibly to eastern aisles, and faint outline of gable, pre-dating aisles, above chancel arch. North wall of chancel with rectangular aumbry to east, and carved stone with triangular head re-set to west. South side of chancel with blocked C13 piscina with pointed head to east and damaged sedilia with Caernarvon head to west with stone with shield inscribed IHS set inside. East window flanked by single large grotesque corbel heads painted white. C19 altar rail. Gravestone set in chancel floor to vicar of parish, died 1413, with near illegible inscription running round. 2 gravestones set in nave before chancel arch to members of the Wheddale family, died 1737, 1799. South aisle of nave with grotesque corbel head set into east wall. Below, a fragment with carved decoration and deeply moulded edge set into wall. Below on floor a crudely inscribed upper section of gravestone with tonsored head and shoulders of priest with hands in prayer. Another medieval gravestone to south with inscribed cross with crude fleur-de-lys type terminations. Slab beyond with indentation of brasses now removed. Early C13 octagonal font on octagonal base. Several C19 and early C20 monuments. C19 and C20 roofs, that over nave with cusped tie beams.

Listing NGR: TF4399493227

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 43996 93224

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:27:02.