List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1165761

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityWest Deeping

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194648

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 10 NW WEST DEEPING CHURCH LANE (north side)

10/262 Church of 30.10.68 St. Andrew

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C13, mid C13, early C14, late C14, C15, 1676, 1803, restored C19. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, some render, lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, chancel. Tall 3 stage C14 tower with clasping angle buttresses, chamfered string courses, battlemented parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles and set back crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. C15 belfry lights having 2 cusped openings under 4 centred arch and hood. In the south wall a rectangular window to middle stage with chamfered surround, continuously wave moulded west door with hood and above a 2 light window now with C19 tracery and a trilobe headed niche. Nave and north aisle have plain parapets. In the north wall a blocked segmental headed doorway with moulded hood. 2 late C14 2 light windows in 4 centred arched surround. Mid C13 2 light window with plate traceried circle. The 4 clerestory lights match the late C14 ones below. North wall of chancel has a C14 chamfered doorway and 2 early C14 Y traceried windows with cusped heads. Chancel has a C19 ball flower cornice and Collyweston roof. C19 3 light east window in C14 style. In the south wall are 2 windows matching those to the north. In the south aisle are 2 two light windows with cusped ogee heads having blank recessed spandrels, probably unfinished and beyond the porch a mid C13 plate traceried 2 light window with circle over. Gabled C19 south porch has double chamfered outer arch and inside a single chamfered C13 doorway. Interior. Early C13 3 bay nave arcades, 2 of the northern arches still rounded, all double chamfered with circular piers, moulded abaci and responds. Massive triple chamfered C14 tower arch. Nave roof of 1676 repaired 1803 has tie beams with king posts to canted principals, moulded purlins, fleuron wall plate frieze and C14 corbels and canted end trusses. In the south aisle a cusped ogee headed piscina and in the north a pair of statue brackets flanks a cusped headed niche. C13 double chamfered chancel arch with circular responds and capitals. To the south a squint. Chancel remade in C19, but in the south wall is a C13 triple sedilia with circular shafts and moulded arches, and beyond a contemporary piscina with cusped arched head and gablette. The walls have extensive tiled and painted decoration and the panelled ceiling has painted symbols of the passion. Tall stone reredos with mosaic panels and central gabled cross. Fittings. Fine candelabrum dated 1770 with 2 tiers of candles. All other fittings are C19 except the early C14 font, standing on an octagonal base with blank pointed arches, fleuron frieze to base of octagonal bowl and heraldic shields to the sides and chevrons to the angles. Monuments. In south aisle are 4 wall plaques to the Figg family, 1729, 1762, 1792, 1827. 2 have open pediments with escutcheons, one has scagliola columns and the last an obelisk plus urn.

Listing NGR: TF1090308623

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 10903 08623

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:34:42.