List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ABBEY

List entry Number: 1165597

Location

THE ABBEY, ABBEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthoritySwaffham Bulbeck

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jun-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49413

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5563 SWAFFHAM BULBECK ABBEY LANE

14/114 The Abbey (formerly listed at 1.12.1951 The Priory)

I

House, built over medieval undercroft, C13 and C18. Stone and brick with C20 pantile roof. The undercroft C13 has original walls of coursed clunch, possibly rebuilt or renewed in C18, with substantial areas of c1300 finely jointed and coursed knapped flint. The door and window openings are generally of Barnack limestone. The clasping buttresses are C18 but incorporate stone from the medieval building. The original lodging probably consisted of a first floor hall above the undercroft, which is in five bays and two aisles. The original door and window openings are more clearly visible from the interior, but in the North East wall there are sills of two, two-light windows and chamfered mullions and sills. The doorway in this wall has jambs of two chamfered orders but the arch has been rebuilt. In the early C18 the first floor was rebuilt in narrow yellow brick with red brick dressings. Pantiled roof with end parapets and a good, contemporary double cornice of sawtooth ornament. There is an attic storey. The first floor is framed by pilaster strips and divided from the undercroft by a band. There is a projecting, pedimented centrepiece of three recessed hung sashes with a round window to the pediment. The larger flanking bays each have one similar hung sash. At ground floor, the doorway is in a rusticated round headed arch flanked by two blind, round window openings. Inside the undercroft has quadripartite ribbed vaulting, chamfered, with the ribs springing from three octagonal columns with moulded capitals. The responds have similar half-octagonal columns. In plan the undercroft was divided by a partition wall, probably without openings, between the second and third bays. The three bays to the North had three windows on the South West side, each with a two-centred and chamfered rear arch with a wide splay and ashlared quoins. On the North East there is an enlarged window opening and a similar two-centred rear arch to an original doorway. The columns of the arcade, and the responds, and the doorway jambs are all of Barnack limestone but the capitals, which are contemporary are clunch. In the two bays to the South East, on the North wall there are two, two-centred rear arches. On the South side a locker with rebate for a door and sites for shelving. There are two similar lockers in the North West bays. The inglenook is a C18 insertion. The early C18 part of the house retains its original plan as well as a symmetrical baluster from the original staircase. The medieval undercroft is the only surviving building of a Benedictine nunnery founded in C12 by Isabel the Bolebec. It was probably a warehouse or storeroom for the Prioress's lodging which would have occupied the first floor hall above. In C18 it was acquired by William Hamond of Haling Park, Surrey who rebuilt the first floor.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p100, mon. (2) W M Palmer: Benedictine Nunnery of Swaffham Bulbeck. C.A.S. Proc XXI, (1931). V.C.H. (Cambs.), Vol. II, p226

Listing NGR: TL5587663471

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East - Date: 1972 - Page References: 100
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society - Date: 1931 - Journal Title: Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society - Volume: 31
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1948 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 226

National Grid Reference: TL 55876 63471

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:02:13.