List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1165503

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityBrocklesby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196575

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 11 SW BROCKLESBY BROCKLESBY PARK

1/25 Church of All Saints 1-11-66 I

Parish Church. C14, C17, C18, C19 and C20. Ironstone, brick, ashlar dressings, slate roofs, lead broach spire. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches. C14 west tower with moulded plinth, of 3 stages separated by chamfered string courses. In the west side is a giant recessed pointed arch, double chamfered, without capitals. The underside is diagonally vaulted with 4 facetted ribs resting on grotesque head corbels. West tower window of 3 cusped trefoil lights with flowing double daggers in the upper parts with quatrefoil above. The middle stage is blank. Belfry stage has 4 paired trefoil headed openings with quatrefoils over, recessed beneath chamfered arches. Spire is octagonal, rising as a broach from a square splayed base and decorated with raised rolled ribs in a lattice pattern. The spire was apparently re-erected in 1784, but was previously repaired in 1621, and hence may be of pre-Reformation date. North wall of nave divided into 3 bays by narrow stepped buttresses. West bay has a C14 3 light flowing traceried window recut in the C19, middle bay has a door covered by a blocked late C18 rusticated brick porch with keystone pediment. The east bay has a C14 3 light window with an ogee head flanked by trefoils, with flowing tracery. C14 chancel of 2 bays, marked by stepped butresses, each containing a single 3 light flowing traceried window with an ogee head flanked by trefoils. East chancel window has angled butresses and single C14 3 light flowing traceried light with trefoil heads. South chancel wall of 2 bays, more easterly contains a partially recut C14 window with a pointed head and a door, recut, but with a moulded surround and hoodmould. The western bay has a 3 light C14 window. Nave south wall of 3 bays, the outer pair having C14 3 light windows, the central one with a brick rusticated porch with a plinth a band and a dropped keystone and pediment, covers a C14 pointed headed door with 2 orders of sunk wave mouldings and a moulded hood. At the west end of the south wall of the nave is an angle staircase providing access to the tower and supported accross the angle by a corbel stone bearing a small beast head. Inside the tower arch matches that outside with 2 chamfered orders. A pointed headed door to the south affords access to the tower via the external stair. The chancel arch is also C14 and is unusually of 2 continuous chamfered orders terminating in square bases. Otherwise roofs and fittings are C19 apart from the very fine late C18 organ, by James Wyatt, the turned alter rails of c1700 and the superb late C17 lectern in the customary form of an eagle, but with the unusual embellishments of scrolly brackets and putti heads. Font is of marble and dated 1948. In the chancel are 2 fine C17 monuments. On the south side to William Pelham, knight, d.1629 showing him and his lady reclining on a rich tomb chest on which are depictd 14 children kneeling as well as 3 chrisms beneath 3 semicircular headed arches, on the rear panels of which are coloured marble veneers. At the knight's feet is a peacock and at his lady's a moorish king's head. The other monument to a William Pelham shows him and his wife kneeling opposite one another, he with 3 sons, she with 3 by 3 Corinthian columns and the centre of which is a carved and painted shield of arms. Of the later monuments, that to Charles Pelham, Lord Worsley, killed at Flanders 1914, is notable since it is in a pleasing C17 style. North wall of the nave has a full 1 length sculpture of Marcia, Countess of Yarborough, with 2 children, d.1926, and a vigorous plaque to Charles 4th Earl of Yarborough, d.1936, depicting his arms and 3 roundels showing the deceased flanked by Masonic insignia and a view of Lincoln Cathedral.

Listing NGR: TA1397011318

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 27 Lincolnshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: TA 13971 11315

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 09:13:23.