List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1165350

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CUXWOLD MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthoritySwallow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196378

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 10 SW SWALLOW CUXWOLD MAIN STREET (North side)

2/23 Church of St Nicholas 1.11.66. II*

Church c.llOO, C15, restored in 1860 by James Fowler. Ironstone rubble, some limestone rubble, ironstone ashlar, slate roofs. west tower, nave, south porch, rectangular chancel. Late Cll West tower with plinth. C19 lancet on west front and 3 Cll bellopenings, each consisting of small weathered lancet. Moulded Cll parapet above. North side of nave has round headed arches of 2 blocked early C12 arcade bays. 2 windows inserted by Fowler, each with 2 pointed cusped lights with quatrefoil above and polychrome voussoirs. Embedded beneath west window is an Cll grave marker's round head with 4 radiating petals. West corner of north wall of chancel has part of blocked arcade visible. Chancel appears to have been raised in C19. East end has plinth and C19 ashlar bands. Pointed C19 east window of 3 lights with tracery, hoodmould and labelstopheads. Gable above with finial. Southside of chancel has C19 ashlar bands and pointed C19 window 2 lights with tracery, hoodmould labelstop heads and polychrome voussoirs. In west corner where the chancel meets the nave is a fragment of moulded abacus of former arcade. Plinth runs round nave which has pointed C19 window of 3 lights with tracery hoodmould, headlabelstops and polychrome voussoirs. C19 south porch with pointed double chamfered west doorway with keeled hoodmould and re-used C15 headlabelstop. Painted chamfered west door inside porch with C19 hoodmould headlabelstops and plank door. Cll interior tower arch with round head, large moulded impost blocks and plank door. Early C12 pointed, double chamfered chancel arch dies into imposts. C19 roofs. C20 pulpit, lecturn, reading desk, pews and altar rail. Font of c.llOO, basin shaped on pedestal with scallop pattern round brim. Various C19 monuments, including large, pinnacled ashlar monument to the Thorold family in the 1870's.



Listing NGR: TA1719901111

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 17199 01111

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:01:21.