List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. GUTHLAC

List entry Number: 1165217

Location

CHURCH OF ST. GUTHLAC, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityMarket Deeping

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194500

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 1210-1310 MARKET DEEPING CHURCH STREET (east side)

12/115 Church of 30.10.68 St. Guthlac

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, early C14, 1440, C15, c.1500, 1875 restoration by James Fowler of Louth. Ashlar, coursed, limestone rubble, lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, vestry. 3 stage tower of 1440, having clasping buttresses and embattled parapet. In the south wall is a pointed niche with grotesque mark and to the middle stage a 2 light window. In the belfry stage are large 2 light windows with 2 tiers of louvred openings, trefoil heads and quatrefoils. To the south side only is a portcullis over the window, and a painted sundial originally 1710, restored 1880 and 1980. 2 light windows in all upper stages. The west wall has a chamfered4 centred arched door and 3 light panel traceried window. In the west walls of the north and south aisles is a 3 light C15 window with cusped heads and 4 centred arched surround. The C15 aisle has bell moulded plinth and moulded parapet, the north aisle has 2 light windows, only that at the west end is C15 and cusped, the other 3 are of 1877 restoration. The aisle is dated 1877. The nave clerestory has a battlemented parapet with coved cornice bearing fleurons, 4 two light windows, trilobe heads and quatrefoils. In the vestry a reset early C15 pointed doorway with moulded surround and hood, and a 2 light C19 window in north and east walls. The large chancel C15 east window is of 5 lights, arranged in 2 tiers with panel tracery and cusping to the heads and transoms. Chancel south wall of c.1500 has 3 three light windows divided by stepped buttresses, with cusped heads and moulded pointed surround and contemporary doorway with moulded surround. In the south aisle east wall is a 2 light C14 cusped ogee window with cambered head, and in the south wall a C14 2 light Y tracery window with beyond to the east a broad C15 2 light window with cusped head and quatrefoil. The clerestory matches that to the south. Early C13 gabled porch with double chamfered pointed outer arch with shafted reveals and circular capitals. Cast iron side benches. Porch gates of c.1875 by Colman of Market Deeping. Inner late C12 rounded headed doorway with single angle shafts with waterleaf capitals and keeled roll moulding to the head. The C19 double doors have reset scrolled and floriated early C13 ironwork hinge pieces. In the porch a fragment of late C10 Anglo Saxon tomb cover withsingle strand interlace panels. Early C13 coped and tapering grave cover with floriated cross and horseshoe ribbons to the centre, and a fragment of a late C13 tomb cover with elaborately decorated cross head and raised flowers. Interior. Tower arch of 1440 has shafted reveals, with bell moulded bases, embattled and octagonal capitals, moulded and pointed arch with hood having C19 stops. Late C12 3 bay north arcade having quatrefoil piers and responds, circular abaci, double chamfered round arches, chamfered hoods. C13 south arcade also with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals, double chamfered pointed arches and hood. Early C14 piscina in south aisle with cusped ogee head and trefoil hood. In the east wall an aumbry and statue bracket. In the north aisle a cusped headed piscina with pointed hood and above a C15 4 centred arched opening to rood loft, and in the east wall a pointed archway with one probably reset late C12 waterleaf angle shaft. Late C15 grotesque corbels to nave roof. Chancel arch of 1875 with sandstone wall shafts supporting double chamfered arch with moulded hoods, the shaft bases with bird carvings. In the chancel north wall is a reset C15 archway with octagonal reveals and capitals. Beyond to the east a reset tomb recess with relieving arch. In the south wall a square aumbry and early C16 double sedilia and priests' door, with scrolled crocketed gablettes and to the east, a C14 piscina with crocketed ogee arched head with floriate terminal. In the east wall 2 C14 niches with ogee canopies, now contain C19 plaster figures of St. Hugh and St.Guthlac. Behind the latter a fine mosaic C19 reredos depicting a stepped cross, flanked by kneeling angels. The chancel also has grotesque corbels, and retains the moulded principals and rafters of the c.1500 roof which is enriched with angel supporters, carrying books and scrolls. Stained glass in the south chancel wall depicting the life of St. Guthlac of 1878 and 1908 by H. Hughes. In the north aisle a fine 2 light stained glass window of 1920 in grisaille glass depicting St. Michael and St. Gabriel, by H. Hendry. All fittings are 1875, including the facetted wooden pulpit and brass eagle lectern. Recut C15 octagonal font with cusped shields and quatrelobes to the sides, and trefoils on the base. Monuments. In the south wall of the chancel a wall tablet to William Bailey d.1812 in slate with draped marble urn over. In the north wall of the chancel a mid C13 coped and tapered grave slab bearing a cross fleury and foliate stem with tailed terminal.

Listing NGR: TF1368210312

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 13682 10312

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 12:53:54.