List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1165123

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityDunsby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194259

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DUNSBY BOURNE ROAD TF 12 NW (south side) 7/45 Church of All 30.10.68 Saints G.V. I

Parish church. Early C12, c.1200, C14, restored 1857. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate and lead roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and chancel with north organ chamber. Early C14 west tower with moulded plinth and string course. 3 stage angle buttresses with each stage defined by ornate crocketed and finialled gables springing from human and angel busts and animal heads. Slit stair lights immediately to left of south-west buttress. Pointed west window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded string course above and narrow rectangular light with chamfered surround to west and north. Niche above on west side with crocketed and finialled gable and late C13 figure of Christ in cusped, round headed opening. Moulded string course defines bell stage above with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, double chamfered surround and 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with quatrefoil. Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles, battlements above. C19 north aisle with doorway to right with pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. Window to left with segmental head, 3 cusped pointed lights and hood mould. 2 similar windows beyond. East end of north aisle with pointed doorway with chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. Clerestory with C19 fenestration with 4 windows each with a flattened triangular head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and hood mould. Moulded eaves above. East end of chancel flanked by 2 stage angle buttresses. Pointed east window restored in C19, with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel plain except for slate memorial to Richard Casswell, died 1845. East end of C19 south aisle plain, south side with 2 pointed windows with 2 plate trefoil headed lights and quatrefoil. Gabled porch to west with C13 doorway with double chamfered pointed head, polygonal responds, hood mould and head label stops. Porch interior flanked by stone benches with single blocked rectangular windows to east and west, the former with fragments of medieval tracery on sill. Late C12 south doorway restored in C19, with pointed, moulded head with fillets, jambs including single flanking shafts with damaged crocket capitals, hood mould with C19 head label stops and plank door. To west of porch another pointed window with 2 plate trefoil headed lights and quatrefoil. C20 lean-to to west. Clerestory with 4 C19 windows each with flattened triangular head, 2 cusped ogee lights and hood mould. Early C14 interior tower arch with triple chamfered head, triple rolled jambs with continuous richly foliate capitals, hood mould and head label stops. Original roof line of nave visible above with flanking corbels. 4 bay north aisle of c.1200 with polygonal responds, octagonal piers, pointed double chamfered heads and hood moulds with rosettes in spandrels. Late C12 south arcade with polygonal responds, round piers with octagonal abaci, pointed double chamfered heads, hood moulds and rosettes in spandrels. Chancel arch of c.1200 with pointed, double chamfered head, polygonal responds with beaded polygonal capitals and hood mould with head label stops. North organ chamber archway of c.1300 with pointed, moulded head with keeled responds with fillets and richly foliate capitals, hood moulds on both north and south sides with head label stops. In organ chamber, now vestry is the remnant of an early C12 pilaster buttress. In north aisle of nave is a corbel with castellated decoration. C19 roofs, altar rail, pulpit, lectern and pews. C15 octagonal font on octagonal plinth and pedestal, an inscription carried round in the fields: "Jesus Christ Maria Baptista", and in the 8th panel: "priur" interpreted as "in principio". Monuments include one in white marble with broken pediment and flaming urn, to Martha Baskett, died 1746; another in white and grey marble to Caroline Waters, died 1841; another in black and gold with urn by Phillips of Bourne, to Irton Murthwaite, died 1793; and an oval white monument to Elizabeth Fothergil, died 1811. Source: Associated Architectural Society Reports, Volume 6. 1861. p.X.

Listing NGR: TF1052126821

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 10521 26821

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 04:54:32.