List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1164829

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthorityColeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192195

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 97 60 COLBY CHURCH LANE 5/11 23.8.67 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 1

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15 and C19. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and leaded roofs. West tower Saxon with later C11 bell chamber and C15 bell openings, battlements pinnacles and spire. Two small C11 openings, though west door and windows C15. Nave, has three C15 clerestorey windows with a parapet above. The north aisle has 2 rectangular C15 transom and mullioned windows with carved hood-mould stops. The chancel is C13, with lancets, 3 stepped to the east, a finely carved corbel table and a small C19 vestry. The south aisle is also C13, with an originally 2-storey porch to the west. This porch protects a very fine C11 doorway, with 2 orders of shafts, capitals with leaf decoration, outer arch with lozenge-chains and inner with a roll. Internally the tower arch is C11 but with a C15 arch fitted in to strengthen it. The north arcade has 2 bays, round-arched with a sturdy pier with scalloped capital and square abacus, billet in the hood-mould. The south arcade has C13 arches with stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arches. The chancel arch is pointed but with the late Norman square abacus. The chancel itself is C13, originally with a C13 north transept chapel and a C14 south one, but only the arches to these survive. The piscina is C13, and so is the double sedilia though the hoodmoulds were renewed in the C19. The font is Cll with interlocking arches. The pews were fitted in the C19, they were brought from Hackthorn Church, they have fine carved poppy heads. Wall monument 1734. Church restored carefully by F C Penrose in 1864, and Tower restored 1901.

Listing NGR: SK9751660589

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 97520 60589

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:22:37.