List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1164317

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWhaddon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52648

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3446 WHADDON CHURCH STREET (South Side)

9/240 Parish Church of St Mary 22.11.67 I

Parish Church. Early C13 chancel, late C13 to early C14 nave arcades, north and south aisles and clerestorys. Late C14 north doorway inserted into opening of former vaulted north porch. C15 tower and nave and aisle roofs. In 1746 Philip Lord Handwicke rebuilt the chancel roof and replaced the windows with round headed lights. Restoration in 1868-9 by E. Christian (dated water head), vestry and organ chamber added, south porch rebuilt. Upper part of west tower rebuilt in 1894. Floor of chancel relaid in 1949. Walls of flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs plain tiled or leaded. South Elevation: West tower of four stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet. Semi-octagonal belfry stair turret to south-east with pyramidal roof rising above parapet. Two-light belfry window in two-centred arch. Nave, aisles and chancel with embattled parapets and moulded plinth, (chamfered to chancel). Buttresses of two stages. Moulded cornice with mask ornament to nave and terminating with two beasts in east wall of chancel. Gabled south porch, C14 south doorway with two-centred arch of two wave-moulded orders, with label and head stops. Four quatrefoiled clerestory windows, four restored two-light, transomed, aisle windows with flat arches and labels. Two replacement chancel windows of two-lights in two-centred arches and priest's door. Interior: Nave arcade of five bays with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders with chamfered labels, octagonal piers with semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases. Tower arch, two-centred of three orders with inner order springing from moulded caps and with continuous moulded base. Chancel arch, two-centred of two chamfered orders with dogtooth ornament on east side, and similar enrichment to caps of responds with attached shafts. Nave roof, late C15 of four bays and two half bays, with moulded ridge, purlins and wall plates, principal rafters supported by wall posts and solid curved and moulded braces forming four-centred arches supported on finely carved stone corbels (R.C.H.M. for details). Original bell frame for five bells with central post supported by curved braces. Clock in bell chamber probably 1734 a gift of Dame Grace Pickering by P Willington, Barnwell. Font, clunch C15, octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels supported on an octagonal stem. Piscena in chancel with trefoiled head, hollow chamfered and with square outer moulding. Screen of five bays partly restored C15, (blocked rood screen doorway in north wall). Brass indents in chancel, purbeck marble slab with marginal inscription 1364, and D' Eschallers table tomb 1469. To John d' Eschallers, or John Challers of clunch with cusped panels and moulded top. Wall monument to Robert Allen Hurlock, vicar, d.1852 and his wife by Thomson and Son, Camb. Floor slabs in chancel of black marble to Thomas Pickering d.1661; to Henry Pickering d.1705; to Dame Grace Pickering d.1732; to Elizabeth Glover d.1737; to Thomas Tempest d.1644 and Martha his wife d.1652; to Dame Elizabeth Pickering wife of Henry Pickering d.1694. Hatchment in chance) used as an inn sign by the Hardwicke Arms, Arrington for Philip Yorke 3rd Early of Hardwicke d,1834. Organ said to be built by John Snettzer enlarged and remodelled in C19 by Walker of London.

Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.480 R.C.H.M. Report 1949 V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.150 Conquest. Indents at Whaddon, Transactions of Mon Brass Soc. Vol. VIII. 1950

Listing NGR: TL3495746587

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society - Date: 1950 - Journal Title: Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society - Volume: 8
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1982 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 150
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 480

National Grid Reference: TL 34957 46587

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 02:24:32.