List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1163738

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireRibble ValleyDistrict AuthoritySlaidburn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183149

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 7052-7152 SLAIDBURN CHURCH STREET (EAST SIDE)

17/98 Church of St. Andrew 16.11.1954 (Formerly listed under General)

GV I

Church, probably early C15th and late C15th with early C17th alterations. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave and chancel under a continuous roof, with clearstorey, north and south aisles and north porch. The 5-stage tower has angle buttresses and a solid parapet. The west door has apointed head and jambs of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. The west window is of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery. Above, one over the other, are 2 niches, now without statues, having projecting decorated heads. Between them is a one-light chamfered window. The bell openings, probably early C15th, have pointed heads and hoods, each having 2 cusped lights. The nave and clearstorey windows, probably late C15th, have flat heads, mullions, and cusped lights. The only exception is the 2nd window from the east in the south wall which is similar to the bell openings of the tower and has a hood with head stops. To its left is a blocked priest's door with a hollow-chamfered segmental head. The east wall was rebuilt in 1866 and has a window of 5 cusped lights with tracery. The south porch has a chamfered doorway with 2-centred head and an inner hollow-chamfered doorway. The north doorway is hollow-chamfered with a segmental head and a false keystone with a carved head. The north aisle has buttresses with moulded offsets. Interior: The arcades are of 5 bays to the south and 6 to the north and have octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders. Towards the east end of the south aisle wall is a piscina with moulded cusped 2-centred head, The open timber roof is probably early C17th. It has short king posts, braced to the ridge and rising from arch-braced collars. Both nave and aisles have cusped windbraces, the aisle principals having ovolo mouldings and some carved decoration near the aisle walls, including heads. The church is unusual for its quantity of good early woodwork. It has C17th and C18th pews, including box pews. A C18th 5-decker pulpit has raised and fielded panels, a stair of slim turned balusters, and sounding board with carved entablature. The rood screen, probably of the 1630s but possibly later, has tapering square uprights with capitals, decorated arched openwork heads, openwork frieze and dentilled cornice. To the east of the rood the east aisle bay on each side is divided from the chancel by a screen with narrow mullions and thin heads of panel tracery. The south aisle is divided towards the east by a wooden screen with cyma-moulded mullions.

Listing NGR: SD7100652104

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 71003 52106

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 02:47:59.