List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1163631

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireChorleyDistrict AuthorityCroston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184319

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSTON CHURCH STREET SD 41 NE 8/67 Church of St. Michael (Formerly 17.4.67 listed as Church of St Michael GV and All Angels) II*

Parish church, probably mainly C16, with some earlier fabric at east end, and C15 tower: altered in C17, partly rebuilt at various dates in C18, re-roofed and "beautified" 1823, restored 1866-7. Squared sandstone. West tower, nave with north and south aisles under same roof, chancel with north and south aisles. Massive square 4-stage tower, mostly embraced by nave, with angle buttresses and embattled parapet with corner and intermediate pinnacles, has deep moulded pointed-arched west door with hoodmould terminating in carved heads, above this an arched 4-light window with moulded surround (probably C16 but containing later tracery), 3-light belfry louvres with intersecting tracery and hoodmoulds; clockfaces on the north and south sides; and looplights to an internal vice in the south west corner. Nave with aisles externally divided by buttresses into 5 bays, has large 4-light windows, almost semi-circular headed, with restored intersecting tracery, and hoodmoulds; 1st bay on north side has a very wide moulded 4-centred arched doorway with leaf spandrels and square hoodmould on the centre of which a small shield displays the Hesketh arms; above this a low 4-centre-headed window of 4 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, flanked at sill level by carved armorial shields; and a battlement above inscribed: "THIS CHURCH WAS NEW ROOF'D AND BEAUTIFYD AD 1823". On south side 2nd bay has a gabled porch with diagonal buttresses and straight side parapets, an almost semi-circular-headed arched doorway moulded in 2 orders, and inner 4-centred arched doorway with moulded surround. North chancel aisle (Becconsall chapel) has two 3-light windows in the side and one in the end; south chancel aisle (chantry chapel of St. John the Baptist) has a priests door with 4-centred head, two 3-light windows in the side and one at the end. The projecting bay of the chancel has a 5-light pointed arched east window with intersecting tracery, and on the south side a smaller square-headed window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights and perpendicular tracery above. Interior: lofty 4-bay nave, with 5th bay at west end formed by north and south arches of tower: nave arcade of relatively low pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders springing from octagonal columns, the caps and springing evidently altered and reconstructed; flat-pitched roof of 6 bays with moulded beams on carved wall brackets (similar to aisles); tower arches on north and south sides similar to those of nave but of 3 orders, but arch to nave springing from much greater height. Chancel arch (modern) of 2 orders springing from shafts with moulded caps; chancel aisle arcades rebuilt. In chancel, remains of an aumbry in the north wall, and of a double piscina in the south wall, this with a carved capital of a shaft, possibly C13; at west end, hexagonal font dated 1663 with carved geometricised quatrefoil panels, on 6-shafted pedestal; and over south door a hatchment. Reference: VCH lancs VI pp. 82-85.

Listing NGR: SD4900918394

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 82-85

National Grid Reference: SD 49009 18394

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 07:45:10.