List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MADINGLEY HALL AND STABLE COURTYARD

List entry Number: 1163528

Location

MADINGLEY HALL AND STABLE COURTYARD, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityMadingley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51814

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 36 SE MADINGLEY HIGH STREET (West Side) 1/196 Madingley Hall and 31. 8.62 Stable Courtyard GV I

Mansion House. Mainly mid and late C16, but with alterations and additions of C17, C18, C19 and early C20. Red brick with burnt brick diaper work, and limestone dressings of reused, coursed stone probably from Anglesey Abbey. The south wing is constructed of coursed limestone ashlar probably from the same source. The later work is also in red brick but without diaper patterning. Parapetted, tiled roofs, with crow-stepped end parapets and shaped gable ends. End, side and internal chimney stacks, with rebuilt upper courses. Plan of mid-C16 house of main east range with upper and lower halls, through-passage to south end and principal private apartments approached from newel stair turret at south-east corner. Kitchen, buttery and pantry were in the south range. Late C16 principal addition was a long solar or parlour north wing including a gallery. Hall range of two storeys and attic. Original stonework to plinth and enriched main cornice. Roof probably raised late in C16. Fenestration of C18 and later, hung sashes, with Ketton stone surrounds. Original entry in two storey, embattled porch, buttressed, with C18 oriel window above with original carved stone panel and outer archway. Two-storey oriel window, C18 and C19, with reset C16 carved panels, to high end of hall. Stair turret to south-east corner has ogee roof of copper and original brickwork and stone dressings, some restoration, and rebuilt or added upper storeys. The south wing with later openings, some of C17, and a jarderobe turret to south wall. The north wing, altered in C18, partly demolished C19, and east end rebuilt early C20, is of three principal storeys and an attic framed by projecting newel stair turrets. The loggia at ground floor, now blocked, is late C16 but much restored early C20. Other additions were made in C18, mostly of red brick. The stable courtyard of C18 origin was rebuilt in 1951 but the central hexagonal clock cupola of 1755 was incorporated in the north range. In the early C20 the gardens were redesigned and the terraces flanking the north wing were constructed. The former stables and coach-house have been rebuilt since the Hall was acquired by Cambridge University in 1948. Inside. Many alterations have taken place on the interior. However the principal features that survive are the mid C16 newel staircase in the south-east turret, the contemporary hammer beam roof over the hall range reputed, on documentary evidence, to have been reset from Histon Church; the early C17 wall painting in the murals room, the Baroque ceiling panelling and fireplace of the saloon, and the c.1724 main staircase in the north wing. A more detailed description can be obtained from the R.C.H.M. West Cambs, mon.(2). The mid C16 house was built for Sir John Hynde. Subsequent additions were made by his descendents. The house passed to the Cotton family in 1647 on the marriage of Jane Hynde with Sir John Cotton. In 1861 it was rented by Queen Victoria for the Prince of Wales whilst he was at Cambridge University. The Prince Consort stayed here in November 1861. It was acquired by Col. T.W. Harding in 1905 who was responsible for much of the restoration. In 1948 it was sold to Cambridge University. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(2) Plates 40,110,111, 128 and 135 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p435 Cambridge University: Madingley Hall

Listing NGR: TL3926460469

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West - Date: 1968
  2. Book  Reference - Title: Madingley Hall - Date: 1976
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 5 Cambridgeshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 435

National Grid Reference: TL 39264 60469

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 04:37:14.