List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE

List entry Number: 1163277

Location

CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE, ELLIOTT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213516

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYLDESLEY ELLIOTT STREET SD 60 SE (south side) 2/47 Church of 18/7/66 St. George G.V. II Church. 1821-4. By Sir Robert Smirke for the Church Commissioners. Chancel extended in 1887. Dressed stone. Nave with clerestory and aisles; west tower, chancel and vestry. Gothick. 7-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth, coped parapet and weathered buttresses which are set diagonally at the corners and have crocketed pinnacles. Each bay has a 2- light aisle window with plain tracery and a clerestory window with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Porch in westernmost bay. The chancel, which forms a continuation of the nave, has a 2-light window,and a 3-light east window all with Geometrical tracery. 3-stage tower with weathered diagonal buttresses, west door, second stage lancet window, and 3 lancet belfry openings. An octagonal spire is set behind a parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles from which spring flying buttresses. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade arches on octagonal columns. Cambered roof structure with timber ceiling. West gallery. Timber fittings include screens, pews, stalls, pulpit etc. James Mort wall memorial, 1855, by Garner of Manchester.

Listing NGR: SD6883801967

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 68838 01967

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 08:30:54.