List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ADMINISTRATION BLOCK AT ASTLEY HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1163258

Location

ADMINISTRATION BLOCK AT ASTLEY HOSPITAL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213512

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYLDESLEY CHURCH ROAD SD 60 SE (north-west side) 2/43 Administration block at Astley Hospital (formerly listed 18/7/66 as Dam House) II* House, now hospital. Recut stone above entrance reads "erected by Adam Mort and Margaret Mort 1650" but with extensive additions to rear in early and late C19. Rendered brick and brick with stone dressing and slate roof. 5 x 3 bays with 3 storeys. The C19 ranges which make up the quadrangle are largely of 2 storeys and continue to use mullioned windows and vernacular motifs. The elevation consists of gabled crosswings which project to either side of the house-part, a 3-storey porch within the left angle and an additional bay to the left. The porch bay has a studded, cross-boarded door with Doric columns, an open pediment and a fanlight. Each crosswing has a canted 3- storey high bay window with enlarged openings on the ground floor. Otherwise the majority of the double-chamfered stone mullion windows appear to be unaltered (on front only). They have from 2 to 6 lights and the principal rooms have transoms and hoodmoulds. 3 gables and projecting chimney stacks to side elevations. Rear is an extension of early C19 as is the 4-bay wing to rear right which includes a chapel at first floor level. The other 2 sides of the quadrangle are in stock brick, of late C19, and include a coach house. Interior: altered on the lower storeys but retaining many original and Regency features including an inglenook fireplace in the left room, beams, elaborate Gothickdoor surrounds and doors. Splendid Gothic roof trusses to chapel. The upper floor retains 6 and 2-panel doors with strap hinges and timber-framed crosswalls with wattle and daub infill are fully exposed. Brick vaulted cellar - C19. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.

Listing NGR: SD6986900902

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Farrer, W and Brownbill, J - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster - Date: 1906

National Grid Reference: SD 69869 00902

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:53:37.