List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HYDE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1162808

Location

HYDE HOUSE, CHESHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireChilternDistrict AuthorityChartridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 44639

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 90 SW CHARTRIDGE CHESHAM ROAD, (south side) Hyde Heath 5/37 Hyde House -

- II

Small counry house. Early C18 with early C19 alterations. Painted shicco with ashlar lines. Slate roof behind parapet. 2-storeys. 6-bays with double hung sash windows in moulded architrave frames to all but central two windows on each floor which are mullioned and transomed 2-light casements, those on first floor with leaded glazing and stained glass panels, those on ground floor with lattice glazing. Central glazed door with late C17 carved surround with segmental pediment and carved frieze with cherubs heads, curved brackets on beasts. Fanlight with stained glass. Each side of door is an old stone heraldic shield, with arms of Woburn Abbey and Russell. West elevation: 6 bays of sash windows. Garden (south) elevation: of 7 bays, with tall triple sash windows to left on ground floor, central wooden doorcase with pilaster surround and frieze. Service wing on left dated 1929, roughcast and gabled, linked to C18 flint and brick cottage and stable wing with old tile roof, C19 cast iron stalls and partitions internally. Interior of house: late Cl8 staircase with twisted balusters; Morning Room has moulded plaster cornice and C18 carved oak chimney piece with caryatid and royal arms to iron fireback. Dining Room has good plaster cornice with urns, carved chimney piece with original iron fireback. Drawing Room has ornamental frieze and plain cornice, bolection panelling and white marble chimney piece with large scrolls and old iron fireback. History: Formerly Chesham Woburn Manor, belonging to Woburn Abbey and after the dissolution to the Russells. Home of Robert Plumer Ward, politician and writer between 1804 and 1832, and of Isaac D'Israeli 1825-6 when Benjamin Disraeli wrote his second novel "Caterini Hening" in the house.



Listing NGR: SP9257001026

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 92570 01026

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 04:10:51.