List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1162738

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityDuxford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52874

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4845 DUXFORD CHAPEL STREET (East Side) 20/44 Parish Church of St Peter 22.11.67 GV I Parish Church. C12 tower and tower arch, C18 chancel rebuilt in C14 or C15 retaining one original window. Late C14 north and south aisles. Restoration 1884-1891 directed by Ewan Christian; small vestry north of chancel and sanctuary decorated with marble mosaic by Powell of White Friars. Walls of flint and pebble rubble, Barnack limestone and clunch dressings, leaded roofs. South elevation: Tower of three stages with slender attached columns with caps and bases, lower stage loop windows and paired belfry windows with chamfered round arch and shafted jambs, weathered gargoyles to cornice of C15 embattled parapet, chamfered plinth. C18 lead covered spirelet. Embattled nave and south aisle parapets. Three clerestory windows and south aisle windows restored, C14, with two-centred arched heads some original clunch retained. South porch, late C14 or early C15 restored with C18 red brick; plain parapet, two-centred arched opening with square head and quartrefoiled spandrels. South doorway two-centred arch of two chamfered orders with original C14 plank door. Chancel, with original gable and chamfered plinth, two restored windows and priest's doorway with restored two-centred arch. Interior: Nave arcades each of three arcades with responds of two wave and hollow chamfered orders with columns of four semi octagonal shafts each with moulded caps and bases; chancel arch similar in detail. Tower arch, wide round headed archway with roll-moulded edge and chamfered abacii, jambs with attached shafts, cushion capitals and plain bases. Belfry stair late C14 with four-centred arched doorway and original door with integral moulded fillets to moulded planks. C15 niches to aisle chapels, defaced in south aisle; piscina in south aisle with cinquefoiled head. Nave roof of three restored bays, short king posts with moulded tie beams with pierced spandrels braced to wall posts or carved stone crockets, aisle roofs restored, tower roof late C14, cross frame braced to wall posts originally with cross-bracing between, chamfered spire post braced to frame. Early C18 pulpit, restored and barley twist balustered communion rail. C19 floor tiles in chancel. Font C12 chamfered square bowl on solid clunch base with attached columns at each corner and with two crudely carved traceried panels. Monuments. In chancel, black marble with triangular plaque urn above the drapery to Bridget Wife of Rev. Christopher Hand d.1798; classical pedimented design with inscription on black marble to Tho Harris d.1738; black marble floor slab to Sara Fisher wife of Edmund Fisher MDCCLXXXIX; black marble floor slab to Richard Trott XDCCLXXXIX and his wife; floor slab inscribed 'Entry to vault of Richard Crop d.1792'; grey marble with white plaque and fluted pilastered surround to Richard Crop of Westoe Lodge d.1796; marble plaque with margins of guilded mosaic and two angels to Louisa Carter wife of Rev. Carter d.1898 and Sara their daughter and to Henry Carter d.1904. C19 tower clock by Chas Potts and Co. Ltd. V.C.H., Vol. VI, p218

Listing NGR: TL4806045982

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1978 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 218

National Grid Reference: TL 48060 45982

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:15:53.