List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILTON HALL

List entry Number: 1162643

Location

MILTON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of PeterboroughUnitary AuthorityCastor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49936

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 CASTOR MILTON PARK Milton Hall TL 1499 47/143 15.12.55 GV 2. From 1594 with attic of 1773 by Sir William Chambers and south front of 1745-50 by Flitcroft. Interiors by Flitcroft and Chambers. Built by William Fitzwilliam, Lord Deputy of Ireland. Built of ashlar with stone roofs. The north front dates from circa 1600, with battlements, a long range with 8 projecting bays with one window between each. The bays are canted, 2 staired, 2 are treated as one story bays and have arched lights, and possibly earlier than late C16. The 2 storeyed porch has round arch and flanking Tuscan columns with Ionic column above. Attic has mansard roof by Sir William Chambers 1773 and has 4 tripartite lunettes with pedimented dormers. The south front 1745-50 is by Flitcroft, Palladian, 2 and a half storeys, 9 bays, end bays project and have canted bay windows, the pedimented centre breaks forward with round arched doorway with flanking lights, Venetian first floor window and tripartite lunette in the half storey. Three bay west front has canted bay. East of south front a wing with bow window of circa 1800 by Carr. Interior: nothing of the circa 1600 interior remains. Mostly circa 1750, 1770 and 1800 periods. Entrance hall circa 1750 with coved stuccoed ceiling and chimney piece with open pediment. Dining room has rococo ceiling. Pillared hall has screen of Tuscan columns. Staircase has wrought-iron balustrade, stuccoed ceiling and lantern. Former library by Carr, with Adam style decoration. Long gallery decorated by Chambers with segmental vault and central dome. Peterborough dining room by Chambers. Boudoir has Chinese wallpaper dated 1749. The garden was remodelled by Repton in 1791. A village is said to have existed once at Milton. VCH Northants vol II.

Listing NGR: TL1448699849

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 14486 99849

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:38:33.