List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CHAD

List entry Number: 1162501

Location

CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan AuthoritySaddleworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1673/4/46 CHURCH LANE 19-JUN-1967 UPPERMILL (East side) CHURCH OF ST. CHAD

II* Church. Rebuilt 1831-33, tower rebuilt 1846-7 but incorporating 1746 fabric. Ashlar with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower. 5-bay nave has projecting plinth, eaves band and parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress and 3-light mullion and transom pointed arch window with interlaced tracery (apart from eastern-most bay which is 2-light above a priest's door). 5-light east window with mullions and transom and interlaced tracery which is flanked by weathered buttresses and octagonal corner columns. The gable has a raked parapet. 4-stage west tower flanked by gallery stair bays. The tower has angled buttresses (changing to clasping at the top stage) a 2-light first stage window, 2 lancets to the second stage, clock faces to the third, two 2-light openings to the belfry and decorative corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: Octagonal cast-iron columns support the gallery as well as the nave arcade arches which are cusped. The concave ceiling has decorative painted bosses. Stencilled paintwork to gallery parapet. Various C19 wall plaques and an ornamental stone wall memorial dated 1715 to John Whitehead. Reredos, Commandment boards, choir stalls, lectern, pulpit and font cover of various dates but all made by G Shaw of Uppermill, as are most of the stained glass windows, the exceptions being three the north side (NA1-3) the last by Capronnier (1871). 12-light brass candelabrum of 1717. This church of the early Gothic revival has a fine C19 interior complete with galleries and elaborate fittings and glass. A. J. Howcroft, History of the Chapelry and Church of Saddleworth, 1915.



Listing NGR: SE0075706405

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Howcroft, A J - Title: History of the Chapelry and Church of Saddleworth - Date: 1915

National Grid Reference: SE 00757 06405

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 01:38:59.