List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1162382

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityFoxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4148 FOXTON HIGH STREET (South east side) 19/72 Church of St. Lawrence 22.11.67 GV I

Parish church. Late C12 or early C13 chancel and nave in a continuous range. North and south nave arcades and aisles of early C14. Clerestorey, one bay of south arcade and west tower, c.1475. Restored 1876-86. Fieldstone, flint with limestone dressings. West tower, late C15, embattled and of three stages on plinth. Three stage diagonal buttressing. Cut down spire. Central gargoyle to main cornice. Restored west window of three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. Bell stage has two coupled openings each with cinquefoil head in four centred arch. The gable end of an earlier' - nave roof is visble internally in the east wall of the tower. Nave: Late C12 or early C13 origin with walls pierced by north and south arcades early in C14. Roof raised for clerestorey, C15. Clerestorey has on each side three windows of clunch, each of three cinquefoil lights in a four centred head. However a window on each side at the west end is earlier and has reticulated tracery in two centred arch. The existence of the gable of an earlier roof may indicate that there was a C14 clerestorey, replaced or rebuilt in C15. South aisle, early C14, extended by one bay to the west in c.1475. Two windows, C14, of two trefoil lights with reticulated tracery. (Meldreth and Grantchester parish churches with similar fenestration). One three-light window, C15, much restored to C15 bay addition. The south doorway has been much restored. Chancel: late C12-early C13. Externally of fieldstone with steeply pitched tiled roof. Rood loft staircase in angle between south aisle and chancel. South wall has an original window of two lights with Y tracery in two centred arch and an early C14 window of two trefoil lights. East wall has three original lancet windows in a much restored wall. The north wall has similar fenestration opposite that of the south wall. North aisle with two early C14 windows of clunch with reticulated tracery. The porch and north doorway date from c.1876-86 restoration. Inside: Nave arcade, south side is proably late C13 or early C14. Originally of two bays. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on columns of quatrefoil section with moulded bases and capitals. The large bay to the west was added in C15, probably contemporary with the tower. The north arcade is slightly later. Three bays. Two centred arches of one wave and one hollow moulded order with broach stops on similar early C14 columns of quatrefoil section. The roof is c.1475 with arch braced tiebeams, moulded main beams with carved bosses, including those of the donor and his wife, at the intersections. North aisle has a North chapel at the east end with screen of C15. Oak, with entrance front in eight bays and two stages. The lower stage is blocked and has modern panelling. Open upper stage with subcusped ogee arches in square heads and vertical tracery to the spandrels. Embattled cornice. The south aisle has an early C14 piscina in south wall. Trefoil cusping to ogee arch with label and finial. Quatrefoil drain. Chancel arch of wood, restored c.1876. Two centred arch, moulded, C15 and associated with the rood screen below. The box framing above the arch is also C19. The screen has much restored work to the upper stage but the closed, lower stage has a frieze of running foliate orhament above panels with subcusping to two centred arches in square heads with vertical tracery to spandrels. Each of the nine bays is divided by a pilaster buttress similar but larger than those at the pew ends in the nave and aisles. Rood loft stair opening in four centred arch. The present rood is c.1950. The chancel has moulded band at original sill height. The rear arches of the three lancets in the east wall are two centred with dog-tooth ornament to label carried over each arch. The roof is C15 and similar to that over the nave at St. Edmunds, Hauxton (q.v.). Steeply pitched and in four bays, it has short king posts on arch braced raised tie beams. The intersections in the roof are enriched with carved bosses. The pews in the nave and aisles are late C15 to early C16, probably contempoary with chancel screen. There have been some repairs. There are two stage pilaster buttresses, and roll moulding to the rail of the pews. There are some unmoulded poppy head finials to the pew ends in the chancel. Font: The bowl is C12 or earlier origin and is incorporated in later work.

Rowland Parker: The Church of St. Lawrence, Foxton V.C.H.: Cambs. Vol. p.177 R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1950) Pevsner: Buildings of England: p.387

Listing NGR: TL4121148335

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Parker, R, The Church of St Lawrence Foxton
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 387
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 177

National Grid Reference: TL 41211 48335

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 02:26:07.