List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YE OLDE BOARS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1162256

Location

YE OLDE BOARS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, LONG STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213451

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON LONG STREET SD 80 NE (west side) 2/11 Ye Olde Boar's Head Public House 15/3/57 (formerly listed as Ye Olde Boar's Head Inn) Gv II* Public house. Early C17. Datestones include 1632 in cellar and 1587 on fireplace in C18 addition. C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Square-panel timber-framing on stone plinth with graduated stone slate roof and brick addition. Total of 5 bays and 2 storeys with wings projecting to the rear of bays 1, 4 and 5 and an outshut to the rear of bays 2 and 3. Bold projecting stone plinth (painted). 2 doors in bay 2; one studded oak with elementary overlight, the other blocked and with a basket-arched head. Bay 4 projects slightly and is gabled. Bays 1 and 2 are also gabled. All gables have decorative timber panelling but only that to bay 1 is original. C18 and C19 casement and tripartite sash windows with glazing bars to ground floor.5, 3, 6 and 6-light ovolo-moulded timber mullion windows to first floor. 2 brick ridge chimney stacks. Bay 5 (originally the Sessions Room) was added in the C18 in brick and partly rebuilt in C20. It has a large Venetian window which accommodates double doors. The left return is largely obscured (or rebuilt) by applied timbers. Interior: the timber-framed structure which employs square panels, diagonal braces to the principal posts and diagonally braced tie-beam roof trusses with wind bracing is largely intact. The ovolo-moulded timber-mullioned windows which were obscured by later rear additions are still visible. Chamfered floor beams with ogee stops. Staircase with deep handrail on turned balusters and a newel with bold acorn finial. Massive stone fire surround in former sessions room with carved boar's heads and date. Later cast-iron fire surrounds. Dates of 1638 and 1642 scratched into plasterwork in first floor room also faint wall paintings outlining pendentives on the upper portions of the wall. The early history is unclear probably being built as 2 houses the left one having a baffle-entry plan.

Listing NGR: SD8705206266

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 87052 06266

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:00:07.