List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST UDA

List entry Number: 1162144

Location

CHURCH OF ST UDA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Tudy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67804

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST TUDY CHURCHTOWN, St Tudy SX 0676-0776

8/174 (11/102) Church of St Uda 6.6.69

GV I

Parish Church. Dedicated to St Uda. Norman origins with font surviving and pre- Norman Coped Stone found in Churchyard. C15 north and south aisles and tower. Restored in 1873-4 by J. P. St Aubyn and in 1888, 1892 and 1932. North wall of nave and east wall of chancel of slatestone rubble. North aisle of roughly coursed slatestone and south aisle of roughly coursed ashlar slatestone with moulded base and wall plate. Granite ashlar south porch. Slate roofs. Plan and Development: The font suggests the Church has Norman origins. Pre-Norman coped stone found in churchyard. In circa C15 a 6 bay south aisle and 3 bay north east aisle were added, probably at the same time as the west tower. The south porch was added shortly after. Restored in 1873-4. In 1888 the tower was repaired and in 1932 the sanctuary was altered. Exterior: Tall unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Integral stair in north west corner. 4-centred granite moulded arch to west door with hood mould and C19 door. Circa C15 west window, partly restored. 3-light belfry openings with slate louvers. 3-light Perpendicular tracery in nave, north and south aisles, partly restored in the late C19. Blocked C15 north door with 4-centred moulded arch and rood-loft projection to north aisle. West window of north aisle with C19 Perpendicular tracery and 4-light chancel window with C15 surround and tracery, the mullion renewed in the C20. Rain-water hoppers dated 1829. South porch with 2-centred circa C15 arch with hood mould. Interior: Walls unplastered. Nave and chancel in one. 4-centred tower arch of ashlar granite. Nave, north and south aisles with original C15 waggon roofs; moulded ribs, carved wallplates and bosses with carved ribs in north aisle. Circa C19 chancel roof. 6-bay south aisle and 3-bay north aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded capitals and bases and 4-centred granite moulded arcade arches. Late C19 and C20 furnishings, pulpit and screens. Piscina. Norman font; of table-top type; square bowl which has chamfered corners and is decorated with blind arcading on sides, round shaft partly restored with renewed base. Rood-loft stair intact. Royal coat of arms above south door and 2 funeral hatchments in south aisle; one displaying Michell and Hervey impaled and the other Sarel and Hervey. Pre-Norman 'Coped Stone' in south porch; is like a coffin lid with a hog-back shaped top carved with interlacing and foliage scrolls and having blind arcading on the sides. Memorials: Humfridi Nicholl (1597) with effigies of parents and children in shallow relief and inscriptions in Latin and English; Antony Nicholl (1658) in marble and stone, erected in 1681 by wife Amy; Granite stone of Margery Lower (1686); Phillippa Silly of Trevelver 1669, daughter of Humphry Nicholl; memorial with 4 figures carved in shallow relief with shields above, probably in memory of Alice, wife of William Reskymer who died circa 1563-4. C19 and C20 memorials to Onslow family (qv Hengar). On exterior of south aisle resited headstone of Charles Bligh (1770) of Tinten (qv). Individual photographs of men of parish who served in the forces in First World War. Glass: East window of chancel to John P. and E. A. Moyse-Magor (1879) of Lamellen (qv). Remains of earlier glass in top lights of east windows. Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1935. Maclean Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of The County of Cornwall, 1873 reprinted 1974 Illustration of Coped Stone by A G Langdon in The Builder 1889

Listing NGR: SX0661776306

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Polsue, J - Title: Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall - Date: 1872
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Maclean, J - Title: Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall - Date: 1879
  3. Article  Reference - Title: The Builder - Date: 1889 - Journal Title: The Builder
  4. Article  Reference - Title: Cornwall - Date: 1935 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 06617 76302

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 03:05:07.