List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1161766

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SOUTHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthorityHessle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164722

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HESSLE SOUTHGATE TA 02 NW (west side) 9/78 Church of All Saints 31.1.67 - I

Church. C12 nave, early C13 nave arcades, C15 tower and spire; nave lengthened by 2 bays, aisles widened, chancel rebuilt (all reusing old materials) 1868-70 by R G Smith of Hull. Ashlar, lead roofs. 3-stage west tower (embraced by C15 westward extensions to nave aisles), spire, 5 bay aisled nave with north and south porches, 2 bay chancel with 2-bay north and south chapels and C19 north organ chamber. West tower: set-back buttresses. 3-light pointed west window with Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould. Moulded band: pointed 3-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery and transoms. Band beneath crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials. Tall spire with lucarnes. South aisle: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. Five 3-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Crenellated parapet. At the west end of each aisle can be seen the original width of the C15 westward extension before Smith's remodelling. Pointed south door of 4 moulded orders: 3 keeled rolls, and an outer filleted roll, all on circular abaci and nook-shafts. C19 south porch in Early English style. North aisle: essentially similar, with four 3-light windows with curvilinear tracery of good style under hoodmoulds with grotesque stops, and a single, smaller, pointed, window of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Pointed double-chamfered north door with chamfered imposts. Clerestory of 4-centred arched windows of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel: to south chapel a chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets and a diagonal buttress. To west and centre bays are square-headed windows of 4 trefoil- headed lights; the east bay is of 2 storeys (reflecting an earlier, probably C16, internal arrangement) with a square-headed mullion window of 2 lights to the ground floor and a square-headed window of 3 segmental-headed lights to the first floor. Crenellated parapet with crocketed finials. North side has C19 square-headed windows of 3 lights, one to the chancel, another to the organ chamber. 5-light pointed east window with fine Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould with bishop and monarch stops. Crenellated gable, cross finial. North chapel: a pointed 2-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. South chapel: 4-centred east window of 3 lights to ground floor, square-headed window of 2 lights with label-mould to first floor. Interior: tall pointed tower arch with continuous double chamfers; similar, lower arches to north and south aisles. South arcade: 3 west bays are early C13: pointed arches with paired rolls and a central quirk to the soffit on circular abaci and cylindrical piers on waterholding bases. North arcade: 3 mid C13 west bays of pointed double-chamfered arches on similar abaci, cylindrical piers, and waterholding bases. All 4 capitals retain original painted decoration of foliage scrolls and geometric designs, albeit faded. Hoodmoulds to both arcades. The 2 east bays to north and south arcades are by R G Smith: pointed double-chamfered arches on moulded polygonal abaci and polygonal piers and bases. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with attached shaft to responds: raised 1892. Late C13 chancel north chapel: 2 pointed, double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil pier: filleted attached shafts to responds. Late C15 chancel south chapel: 2 pointed, double-hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal pier. Set into the north wall of the south chapel is a small collection of Romanesque moulded and carved stones, including a sagittarius figure. At the west end of the present nave, between the clearly inserted tower arch and arcade responds, can be seen a small area of C12 ashlar. To north wall of the north chancel chapel is a brass to the memory of Dame Ann Percy, wife to Sir Henry Percy, died 1511. The second window from the west in the north aisle is by Morris and Co: it depicts Saint Anne, Saint Luke and Saint Agnes.

Listing NGR: TA0331426432

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 03303 26433

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 04:35:43.