List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1161743

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LIVERPOOL ROAD WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityChurch Lawton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH LAWTON C.P. (Off) LIVERPOOL ROAD SJ 85 NW WEST

7/24 Church of All Saints 14/2/1967 - II*

Church. Romanesque door surround of C11 or C12. Perpendicular tower of before 1555 and neo-classical nave of 1803. Red and yellow sandstone ashlar to tower and porch. Flemish bond brick with a plain tile roof. Western tower, nave and south-western porch. Tower: western face: diagonal buttresses to the corners. Deeply chamfered doorway with pointed arch, hood mould and label stops. Three-light window above probably of C19 date with three pointed lights. Staircase lancets to right of this. Two-light louvred belfry opening above with Y-tracery, hood-mould and figurehead label stops, that at right being a grotesque head. Battlemented parapet with piers to the corners. The north face of the tower has a C20 service lean-to attached to its lower stage and a string course between the stages. Similar belfry to that on the western front. The southern face has the initials I B divided by a chalice in relief at right above the string course and a circular clockface to the centre below the belfry opening. Nave: the south face is of 4 bays of brick with a deep stone plinth with, to the left hand side, a porch built as a war memorial in 1926 of ashlar. This is gabled with a pointed, chamfered arch. Within and to either wall are benches above which are tablets in pointed niches inscribed with the names of the dead. The door to the church has a Romanesque surround, apparently re-positioned here. To either side are pilarettes with a hollow chamfer to their centres. At the level of the capitals is a band of leaf and dart moulding and to the arch and intrados are chevron patterns. To right of the porch are two round-arched windows and to the far right a doorway with stone surround and lunette window above. The north face is similar with 2 round-headed windows at left and two windows at right with a blocked doorway to right of centre. The western end has a Venetian window and hipped roof and a blocked doorway at right. Interior: Western gallery with front of raised and fielded panels supported on iron columns of quatrefoil section.

Listing NGR: SJ8216455759

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 82164 55759

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:47:52.