List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NONNA

List entry Number: 1161660

Location

CHURCH OF ST NONNA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityPelynt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PELYNT CHURCHTOWN, Pelynt SX 25 NW 2/169 Church of St Nonna 21.8.64

GV I

Parish church dedicated to St Nonna. West tower possibly C14, partly remodelled in C15. 4-bay nave, chancel, north aisle and south transept probably rebuilt in C15. Arcade of north aisle remodelled in circa 1680. Church restored by J P St Aubyn in 1879-83 when much of south transept rebuilt, masonry of the nave was restored, tracery partly replaced or restored, south porch rebuilt and vestry to south of chancel added. West tower of coursed stone with moulded granite plinth and angle buttresses with set-offs. Much of nave and east wall of chancel restored coursed stone with moulded plinth. Stone rubble masonry to north aisle with lower moulded plinth. West wall of north aisle rebuilt. Slate roofs with nave and chancel in one. Vestry to south of chancel beneath leaf-to roof, continuing slope of chancel roof. Much of tracery restored or replaced in C19. South elevation with C19 3-light rectangular window to west of south porch. South transept with C19 6-light mullion window and C19 door on east beneath C19 2-centred arch. Vestry with 2 C19 3-light mullion windows with cusped heads. Chancel with 3-light Perpendicular tracery with restored hoodmould and east end of north aisle with restored 3-light Perpendicular tracery. North aisle with circa C15 Perpendicular tracery comprising four 3-light windows beneath 2-centred arches. West tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet with octagonal turrets and finials surmounted by balls. Carved panels at base of angle buttresses. West door with 3-centred outer arch and 4-centred cavetto moulded inner arch. Late C19 double plank doors. Above, 3-light uncusped Perpendicular tracery. Opening on east side in second stage with C14 ogee headed light with rectangular hoodmould. above. 3-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery beneath 4-centred arches,and with slate louvres. C19 south porch with 2-centred arched opening. South, entrance with C19 2-centred arch with C19 plank door. Interior Waggon roof to nave and chancel. Ceiled in circa 1810. Stained original carved bosses of high quality. Plastered moulded arcade and wallplate. North aisle and south transept with circa C19 boarded waggon roof with reused and C19 carved bosses. Dated boss in north aisle 1879 and in south transept 1882. 4-bay arcade with medieval piers replaced in circa 1680, probably by Bishop Jonathan Trelawney. 4 ellipitical arches with large plain keystone and plain soffits on classical cylindrical granite monolithic piers of Tuscan order. Tower arch slightly higher than nave roof. 2-centred moulded arch on moulded corbels. Furnishings late C19:and C20. Octagonal font of Pentewan stone decorated with quatrefoils. Lead-lined round bowl. South transept comprises the Trelawney aisle containing the family vault which was opened in 1833 to reveal velvet covered coffins, silver nails and gilt plates together with trophies of gauntlets, helmets and escutcheons. On display in the transept are the gilded staff carried at Bishop Jonathan Trelawney's (1650-1721) funeral, the Bishops chair (possibly that from Trelawne which was constructed by J P St Aubyn from pieces of the Bishops chair from Winchester) and a helmet and gauntlets which belonged to the Trelawney family. Fine selection of monuments of high quality. In chancel, on north wall slate tombchest surmounted by elaborate back plate with painted and gilded figures. Buller of Tregarrick (qv Barn 8Om to north west of Tregarrick Farmhouse). Depicts Francis Buller and wife Thomasine kneeling at prayer desk with carved figures of eight daughters and 4 sons below in flat relief. Strapwork decoration on tombchest with base partly obscured by raised chancel floor: Third panel of chest fixed to east wall. Heraldic arms. Plaques recording repair of monument by John Francis Buller in c1726 and by John Buller of Downes, 1816. Latter signed by Sander-Cock, sculptor. Part of the dismantled tombchest of William Achym (1589) is attached to the south wall of the chancel. Formerly in the Achym aisle, now the vestry. Probably by Peter Crocker. Suggested that curious expression on face of figure carved in high relief depicts that of Achym who died of a stroke. South side of chancel, monument to Edward Trelawney who lived at Bake. (qv) Died 1630 and signed by Robert Wills, 1639. Inscription 'Here lies an honest lawyer, wot ye what. A thing for all the world to wonder at'. Other monuments to William Harden, 1704; Richard William and Hanna Sawdy, 1663-1677, signed W.S. 1678; Classical monument of Richard Robert of Liskeard and Mary, wife and daughter of Richard Buller of Tregarrick. Signed IS ; GALT FT Classical monument of William Hill of Lancare, 1801 and ledger stone of Elizabeth Pope, 1654. Strapwork decoration. Further monuments to the Trelawney family, above the family vault in the south transept. These included the plate taken from Bishop Jonathan Trelawneys coffin below; monument erected to John Trelawney Baronet died 1756 erected by widow Agnes; brass plaque to Edward Trelawney Governor of Jamacia 1738-1752; slate slab to Cordelia Trelavnia anagram '0, illa Credita vrnae'. Flanked by 2 heraldic shields and surmounted by a floral trail. Signed by Anthonius Collie, 1634; classical monument to Elizabeth, daughter of John Vivyan depicting woman reclining on couch with hand resting on a skull, 1640; Painted monument of Mary, daughter of Jonah Trelawney, Bishop of Exeter, born and died on same in September 1700. Decorated with putti, flowers and angels head on scull. Six bells. Earliest surviving dated 1613. Two others 1683 and 1773. Further bell of 1683 recast in 1910 when others restored. One was marked Jonathan Trelawney, U.B, T.G., I.M.P. 1683. Church probably stands on a Lan. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England Cornwall 2nd ed. 1970 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall Church Guide Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX2031855052

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Nonna Bradstone Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

National Grid Reference: SX 20316 55055

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:12:02.