List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

List entry Number: 1161343

Location

CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North East LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityWold Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164417

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 29 NW WOLD NEWTON MAIN STREET (west side, off) 9/50 Church of All Hallows

4.1.67 II -

Parish church. 1862 by James Fowler of Louth, incorporating re-used medieval masonry. Squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof. 3-bay nave with west bellcote, south porch and single-bay apsidal chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Plinth, cill stringcourse, buttresses. Nave: 2-light plate-traceried windows with trefoils above lancets, stepped lancets to west within pointed ashlar panel. Octagonal ashlar bellcote corbelled-out from west gable, with side buttresses, shafted belfry openings and octagonal spirelet with miniature plate-traceried lucarnes and wrought iron cross finial. Lancets to chancel. Porch: moulded pointed outer door with small medieval carved stone figure re-set above. Interior. Painted shafts supporting double-chamfered chancel arch with painted rood screen bearing carved figures. Inscribed floor slabs at west end to Richard William Welfitt of 1716 and Maria Welfitt of 1717. Mid C14 font with octagonal bowl, column and base, the bowl carved with quatrefoil panels and inscribed in Latin "Pray for the souls of John and Johanna Curteys". Architectural fragments: series of eight Cll-C15 capitals and corbels with scalloped, stiff-leaf and plain mouldings re-set into nave and chancel walls, carrying C20 painted carved figures and with brass memorial plaques below; one corbel labelled "Bardney Abbey". C14 stained glass fragments re-set in trefoil of south window. Panels of medieval and post- medieval stained glass with central figures surrounded by mixed fragments are attached to the south and west windows. The architectural fragments were probably collected by W M Wright, 1873-1956. Painting dated 1861 hanging in nave shows former church with blocked south arcade. Sections of this building were reputed to have been incorporated in the south wall, though Fowler's plans indicate a complete rebuilding. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 428.

Listing NGR: TF2419096784

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 428

National Grid Reference: TF 24190 96784

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 02:48:34.