List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1161283

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North East LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityWaltham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164414

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 20 SE 7/47

WALTHAM , HIGH STREET (south side), Church of All Saints 4.1.67

GV II* Parish church. Late C13 - early C14 tower, south aisle, arcades and chancel. Restorations of 1867 and 1874 by James Fowler of Louth included re-roofing, re-seating, new tower ceiling, rebuilding chancel and south aisle, new vestry. North aisle rebuilt 1876. Tower restored and top stage rebuilt by E W Farebrother of Grimsby. Organ chamber of 1911. Ironstone rubble and ashlar, with limestone ashlar patching, dressings, organ chamber and tower parapet. Slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with 3-bay north aisle, 4-bay south aisle, 3-bay chancel with organ chamber and vestry adjoining north side. C20 church hall of no special interest adjoins central section of south aisle. 3-stage tower in Early English style: plinth, clasping buttresses, cillband; shafted west lancet with twin lancets above; shafted two-light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced quatrefoil above and dogtooth moulded surround; gargoyles, coped embattled parapet. Plinth, buttresses to C19 organ chamber and north aisle. Latter has C19 2-light square headed traceried north windows, pointed 3-light traceried west window. Organ chamber: two pointed 2-light traceried windows, C19 to right, restored C13 to left, probably re-set from chancel. South aisle: buttresses, pointed triple-chamfered door with plain hoodmould; C19 square-headed 3-light traceried windows, central one with original C14 head and section of hoodmould; C19 pointed 3-light traceried east and west windows. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and C19 buttresses between bays; south side has pointed chamfered door, late C14-C15 square- headed 2-light traceried window, early C14 pointed 2-light traceried window. Large C19 3-light traceried east window. Interior. 3-bay arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers with diagonal shafts between the foils, moulded capitals and bases on diagonally-set plinths, the north piers slightly more ornate. Wide pointed double-chamfered tower arch on shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Blocked square- headed door and outline of former nave gable above. Trefoiled ogee-headed piscina to north aisle. Square-headed rood loft doorway to south aisle. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with broach-stopped outer chamfer and plain moulded capitals on chamfered jambs. Chancel: cillband to east end; triple sedilia with detached shafts, moulded capitals and pointed moulded arches beneath crocketed and finialed gables; double piscina formerly with trefoiled arches (central sections now missing) beneath square hoodmould with carved foliate ornament; pointed chamfered north door, C19 double- chamfered arch to organ chamber. C19 roofs throughout: quadripartite timber vaulting to tower with moulded ribs and carved boss. Brass to Joanna Waltham (died 1420) and her son and daughter: small half-figures with inscription below, re-set on chancel south window-cill; C14 brass inscription to John and Mary Waltham re-set on chancel north window-cill. Fine C14-C15 Perpendicular font has ornate octagonal bowl with carved flowers and angels holding shields, on later shaft with trefoiled panels and moulded base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 415.

Listing NGR: TA2615103910

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 415

National Grid Reference: TA 26151 03910

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 08:34:17.