List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1161226

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48174

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 40 NW WISBECH ST. MARY CHURCH ROAD 10/81 23.6.52 Church of St. Mary

II*

Parish church mainly C14 but with C15 chancel and other alterations. Restored in C19. West tower, C14 and of rubblestone with Barnack ashlar to west wall and to quoins. Of four stages on a splayed plinth with angle buttressing also of four stages and a later embattled parapet of brick. The gable end of the original nave roof is visible in the east wall. C14 west doorway with hollow and roll moulding to a two- centred arch. West window of three trefoil lights with vertical tracery in two-centred arch. Bell stage has two trefoil openings with quatrefoil to head in two centred arch. Nave of rubblestone, rendered with low pitch roof of slate and bell-cote to east gable end. C15 clerestory of five windows, eahc of three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. South aisle, repaired C18, has four C15 windows of three cinquefoil lights in square heads. South porch, restored. Stone, rendered with two stage diagonal buttressing and parapetted gable roof of slate. outer archway two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner carried on attached shafts with moulded capitals. Inner archway has two centred arch of two continuous chamfered orders. C14 holy water stoup. Chancel. Rubblestone with dressed stone to window and door openings. Steeply pitched roof of slate. East window, C15 of five cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in four-centred arch. North wall restored, C19. Interior. Tower arch, C15, two-centred and of two wave moulded orders with inner on responds of half-octagonal columns with embattled capitals. North and south arcades of five bays. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with octagonal capitals and bases with square plinths. Chancel arch similar to nave arcades with a window above of three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. Glazing in east window is World War I war memorial. One tomb slab in nave to Thomas Williamson, 1836 and another to Jane, his wife of 1837, of the Manor House, Station Road, Wisbech St. Mary. The church has furniture, statuary fragments of carving and glazing chiefly continental and C17 and C18. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.234.

Listing NGR: TF4197108142

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 234

National Grid Reference: TF 41971 08142

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:53:25.