List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRUNNER PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1161149

Location

BRUNNER PUBLIC LIBRARY, 89, WITTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityNorthwich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57644

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P. WITTON STREET (North Side)

5/49 No. 89 (Brunner Public Library)

II

Public Library and Salt Museum, now Library and Exhibition Room, 1909, A E Powles architect and W Wood of Hartford builder. A subsidence-liftable structure of oak small framing with plaster panels on brick plinth; slate roof. 2 storeys, symmetrical, with projecting cross-wing to each side of central block of 3 windows. Ogee Tudor arch contains shaped boarded double doors of oak; basket-arched oak boarded door to each cross-wing. 2 mullioned and transomed leaded casements to lower storey of central block and 3 to upper storey; 1 mullioned and transomed leaded casement to lower storey of each cross-wing with canted oriel on shaped brackets above, under jettied gable on shaped brackets, with carved bargeboards and finial. Shaped red brick chimney on centre of ridge and at junction with left cross-wing. Single storey rear wing. Interior: Somewhat altered, framed throughout with stopped ovolo beams, contains plaques of former library (1885 by M K Ellerton for John Brunner and present library 1909 by A E Powles for the then Sir John Brunner Bart. MP).

Listing NGR: SJ6608374049

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 66083 74049

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 04:09:36.