List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1160994

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWicken

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48890

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 57 SE WICKEN CHURCH ROAD (South Side) 8/82 Church of St. Lawrence 19.8.59

GV II*



Small parish church on edge of the village. Mainly C14, but the chancel is C13 and the clerestorey C15. Clunch and flint with Barnack dressings. Tiled roofs. West tower of three stages with embattled parapet, the corners with panelled pinnacles surmounted by pyramidal finials. Three stage buttressing and a newel staircase in south east corner. Nave with C15 clerestorey, each side having three windows of two trefoil lights. The south aisle has three C14 windows, all restored in C19, and a window at the east end which has the original clunch tracery. Three cinquefoil lights in a square head. South porch, also C14. Wheel cross above a later sundial at the gable end. Depressed outer arch, chamfered. The inner arch is two- centred and has a continuous roll moulding. Chancel, C13, but the south wall has been extensively repaired. Fenestration is C14, restored, except for one C13 lancet in north wall. The north doorway is C13, reset. Of two orders, the outer arch moulded and carried on engaged shafts. The inner order is chamfered. Inside, the wall material is clunch. The tower arch, nave arcade, and chancel arch have similar C14 nave moulding in two-centred arches. The nave is in three bays and the arches are in two orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The roof is C15, probably the same date as the clerestorey, and in three bays. It is of collar rafter construction. The cambered tie beams are carried on wall-posts and mask corbels. Monument. Marble slab in chancel to Henry Cromwell, 1673, and Elizabeth, his wife, 1687 and Henry, his son, 1692. Brasses. Margaret Peyton, 1414 and John Peyton, 1520. Outside on east wall of south aisle, wall monument to William Drage, 1728. Three stalls in chancel with misericords carved on the underside, one with female head, and two with enriched scrolls. In vestry, coffin lid, with omega ornament, mediaeval. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.485. RCHM: Record Card.

Listing NGR: TL5772070584

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 485

National Grid Reference: TL 57720 70584

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 08:42:23.